Oxygen clean

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Karl_in_Calif once bubbled...
Since the 1st stage regulator(s) that you "wear" on your back-gas tanks will never have more than 36% O2 in those tanks, you never need to O2 clean those 1st stages.

NOTE: TRUE, IF THAT IS YOUR ONLY CRITERIA.

If you sling deco bottles, then your 50% or higher mixes will be utilized at 70 ft or shallower. You would therefore at most need one high performance 1st stage O2 cleaned for depths of around 70 ft. Your second O2 cleaned 1st stage for EAN80 or 100% O2 does not need to be a high performance reg, since you are going to be breathing off it at 30 ft or shallower.

NOTE: PARTLY TRUE.

Sometimes I wonder why some divers have so many high performance O2 cleaned regs. There is really no reason for it.

I could be snotty, and say that the reason is: "...Because we can!..." I will pass on that, however, and refer to my reasons as previously stated.

(As an example, I have four Apeks TX-100's set up for mixed-gas OC diving. They have all been cleaned, o-ringed, filter changed, and lubricated for oxygen use up to 100%. I do it for all four because I only need one set of part numbers, and procedures for those regs. Also, any one of them can be used in any of the positions for travel, bottom, and deco gas. I keep them in separate bags, and never use them for ordinary diving air! If that sounds a bit paranoid, just remember: "Just because you are paranoid does NOT mean that Murphy is NOT out to get you!")

I will also refer you to Lubold8431's comments about hanging on the line for what seems like ages while having to suck on a "dog" of a regulator!:rolleyes:

I simply do not understand why anyone who dives deep and long, is carrying thousands of dollars in gear, and spends hundreds on gas to breath. Only to justify buying a cheap reg just because it will be used at shallow depths.

I'm with BigJetDriver69, all my regs are the same for the same reasons he stated. The only difference is I use the Mares Abyys.

Keep it simple, keep them the same, and don't buy cheap *life support* equipment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom