P S hp 120 and 80, dangerous or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Now that you have all taken your shots at the dive shop owner, let's reflect on the possibility that he is referring to the possibility that someone with a yoke rated at less than 3442psi might use the tank.

Sure, even the ancient old yokes not rated for even 3000psi will probably be fine at 4000psi, but that is the danger, not anything having to do with the tank itself.

I had one occasion where a fill station at a dive resort refused to give me a full fill on my E7-100s and said the yoke was only good for 3000 psi. He then gave me a hot fill at 2800 and cut my o-ring with his whip on top of it.

My local shops have no problem filling to 3400.

jim ernst:
oh, ben this was glens aquarious at break water, glen is a real good guy and i THINK this was said due to his ignorance of these tanks, as i have known him for a year or more and so far he really has done me good on bussines :D

I've filled my E-7 100's there plenty of times and never heard anything from them. Also no problems at MBDC and Manta. hmmm

Now if they take the DIN insert out and put the brass DIN adapter on there... doesn't that still have an oring like a standard connection.... that can leak. But then again it isn't a problem at the filling station is it. :06:

hey guys i truley feel that glen met no harm as i have known him for some time, and he has done me with good business, i really feel he said this with not knowing and i not knowing as well, i knew i could get the correct info here , and have and i do thank you all very much for this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thanks jim :D

The screw in valve insert is rated to 232 bar (3350psi ) working and higher for using. (It screws into the DIN connector just like regs so is no safety issue at all). Its the proper connector for those insisting on using A-clamp.

Anyone claiming otherwise is either a liar or has no idea what theyre talking about. Its totally safe. If this guy refuses to fill it, dont remove the insert - go to a shop that knows what theyre talking about.

Sounds like he just needs to get educated about the tanks. Have him contact PST directly, get it straight from them.

String:
The screw in valve insert is rated to 232 bar (3350psi ) working and higher for using. (It screws into the DIN connector just like regs so is no safety issue at all). Its the proper connector for those insisting on using A-clamp.

Anyone claiming otherwise is either a liar or has no idea what theyre talking about. Its totally safe. If this guy refuses to fill it, dont remove the insert - go to a shop that knows what theyre talking about.
The hazard isn't in the tank or valve, it's in the yoke connector that might be connected.

Kind of like putting a 5 thread DIN valve on a 300bar tank and filling to 300bar. The tank isn't the problem, the problem is that one can now connect regs not rated for 300bar.

Brian Gilpin:
How serious can he be if he went ahead and filled it. Most of us with hp tanks get our fills at Manta.
Ummmmm. Perhaps he was just trying to point out the potential hazard of connecting ancient, low pressure rated yokes to the tank, but the message wasn't understood.

Judging from the posts in this thread, it seems to be a very difficult concept to understand.

Charlie99:
The hazard isn't in the tank or valve, it's in the yoke connector that might be connected.

Hence me mentioning 232 bar working pressure. As far as im aware all A-clamp designs are rated to work at that pressure and will crack at 260 or so.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom