P S hp 120 and 80, dangerous or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hmmm... Let me guess.... He doesn't carry PST and has some "safer" ones he can sell you!!!

My LDS pulled the same stunt with me about 1 year or so ago. I was in there last month getting it filled and he was praising how good of a tank it was. Guess what tank he carries now :)

String:
Hence me mentioning 232 bar working pressure. As far as im aware all A-clamp designs are rated to work at that pressure and will crack at 260 or so.
Yes, all "modern" ones do, so it's quite reasonable for a shop owner to mention the potential hazard of old yoke regs to the tank owner, and then go ahead and fill it to the rated pressure.

A couple month old thread "settle disagreement on din/yoke valve and max pressure" has some info on the history of yoke valves, and the increase increase in pressure ratings.

And on that note I would like to butt in, sounds like my diveshop.
Currently got all my gear appart from the tank.
Now I'm thinking of doing a deep-speciality next year.... Its a great location where they do the dives and the cert including for dives is ionly €20 more expensive than the trip and doing 30m dives.

Now this said... I miss a tank.
Currently have the choise of second hand and new and secondhand there is a
15L 235 Bar (3400PSI) due for full test in 4 months @ €180
12 L same due for full test in 2 years @ €150
new tanks rate from €225-300 or 325 on the high 4500psi ones)

But with my eye on eventual deep diving, althouggh I might only be able to do 4-5 dives a year go to:

10L 4351psi (300bar) maybe even twice so I wont need a pony.

But what is confusing me is the names of inserts etc

Now the standard 3400 ones ar yake not? that would make the 4351 DIN (or is it the other way around....
In any case I would need new regs / first stage / converter.

Any advice here?

The only "problem" you could possibly expect to encounter when raising the pressure from 200 to 232 bar on a yoke will be o-rings bursting. This is, as I see it, a good reason to rebuild or change your 1. stage into DIN (among other reasons). But it isn't really a big deal, as the o-ring is liabel to fail almost only as you open your tank valve before diving.

Some old or cheap yoke 1. stages are certified "only" to 200 bar (3000 psi), but you're in charge of your own tanks, and it's up to you to let someone else borrow them. So what's the deal, other than our idea that your LDS doesn't sell 232 bar tanks?...

I have had one shop in NJ refuse to fill my PST tanks past 3000 and they also take the insert out when filling them. They also mentioned that it is dangerous to dive with the yoke eventhough my yoke clearly states it can take it. I tried to explain this to them but they won't listen because I am just a customer and not a dive professional. That's their choice, it's allowed, it's not my shop. I just smile and go to another shop now. I do hate it when shops pull the "I own/work a shop and have been doing this longer than you so I know more than you" card. Usually that is this case, but every once in a while they are just spouting off what they know based on the gear they sell or imformation that they got 20 years ago. They did suggest I buy a new first stage from them though, lol. That was very helpful.:mooner:

Now, I do have o-ring issues much more frequently using yoke with a 3400 fill. That's a pain in the butt sometimes!

I do agree with Charlie though, perhaps something was lost in translation from the shop owner to here on SB. That happens frequently and judging from the OP's comments, he meant no harm.:wink:

OK just question again..the PSI bar thing is confusing me
3400 is the normal 200 bar which I more than once had filled to 220-230
Now these are O rings

On the 400PSI/300 BAR O ring is not recommended, am i right?

markfm:
You'll die a horrible death -- send them to me immediately, so I can dispose of them safely!
:)
Rats!
Beat me to it.
Rick :D

jim ernst:
i have a pressed steel e7 hp 120 and 80 , thay both have the insert in the din to make them yoke, and that is the way they came in january brand new out the door, yesturday while in monterey i was having my tank (120 ) filled and was told by the shop owner that he feels my tank is dangerous :11: as it is being filled to its rated pressure of 3400 psi and that he feels it should not be as it has the insert in the first stage!!!! as i said this is the way i bought it and the shop were i bought it also fills it and feels it is fine, can anyone help on this subject and or tell me am i really at risk here!!!! thank you in advance

You should congratulate him on knowing more about PST tanks than PST does.

jim ernst:
i have a pressed steel e7 hp 120 and 80 , thay both have the insert in the din to make them yoke, and that is the way they came in january brand new out the door, yesturday while in monterey i was having my tank (120 ) filled and was told by the shop owner that he feels my tank is dangerous :11: as it is being filled to its rated pressure of 3400 psi and that he feels it should not be as it has the insert in the first stage!!!! as i said this is the way i bought it and the shop were i bought it also fills it and feels it is fine, can anyone help on this subject and or tell me am i really at risk here!!!! thank you in advance

By the way, what does the guy in that DS think of 4500 Psi WP, as it is very common with divers up here? And all "smoke divers" (Errwhatucallit?) in the fire brigades use 4500 psi "plastic tanks"... (Or actually they're carbon fibre with epoxy, but what the heck. It's not steel! :D )

My impression is that the guy you met either is full of it, or rather ignorant to anything new.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom