P-Valve Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So how bad did I screw up. I just realized that I forgot to rinse out my peevalve and tube from my last dive which was last Saturday 1/28 (5 days ago).

I'm planning to rinse with freshwater and white vinegar tonight when I get home from work. My next day of diving is scheduled for 2/11.

Remember... when putting on the condom cath, "the skin" should go forwards, and not back like a regular condom...
Apparently everybody is different. I have the best luck with pulling everything back and rolling it on. The glue and cath hold the skin back. I just pretend I am Jewish all day.

So how bad did I screw up. I just realized that I forgot to rinse out my peevalve and tube from my last dive which was last Saturday 1/28 (5 days ago).

I'm planning to rinse with freshwater and white vinegar tonight when I get home from work. My next day of diving is scheduled for 2/11.
Doesn't matter. Rinse it and let it dry before you use it next. I use steramine because I have it on hand already mixed, but vinegar should clean it as well.

It's fine.
Assuming you aren't going into the water diving with a UTI, urine is functionally sterile. The problem is it's got a hefty dose of nutrients in it. So the global bacteria cloud + residual urine = a petri dish in the hose.

Rinse it out if you are really paranoid, but your chances of getting a UTI from failing to rinse the brand new hose last week are basically nil.

• Unzip the drysuit and grab a bottle of water. Best to be facing the sea with the pee valve outlet over the sea (or somewhere that doesn't matter)
  • Fish out the hose and the tip of the catheter above one's undertrousers & underpants.
  • Pull the hose barb out of the catheter; shake the residual urine from the catheter and put it away for goodness sake man.
  • Open the water bottle, take a large mouthful but don't swallow. Pull the hose up to your mouth, lips on barb, blow the water through hose until air comes out.
  • Repeat several times (half a litre?)
  • Blow though the hose a couple or three times ensuring there's no liquid left.
  • Done.
When back at home, hang up the drysuit and dangle the hose outside (I have a fly zip on my drysuits for that). Tend to blow through a few times to get fresh air into that hose.

Cool. Im ordering some steramine this week so I'll use that moving forward.
You can order it online, but it is usually much cheaper at your local gordon food service or some other commercial kitchen store

$10 on Amazon for 150 tabs

Screenshot_20230202_191055_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Thank you for asking that question. Too many divers are bereft of appreciation for the rich legacy behind our craft. Indeed, the ancient Romans had a term of respect for divers: urinators (see https://scubaboard.com/community/resources/proceedings-of-the-advanced-scientific-diving-workshop.9/). Like quaestors, praetors, and the like, urinators were an important part of the Empire, pointing, as they did, the way toward being one with the sea that gave us birth. In our time, urinating urinators do the same thing. Ideally with the appropriate technology.

Overall people tend to make way to much of this, i use water from the hose and turned way down so not much pressure and just let the water flow a 10/20 seconds.

Back
Top Bottom