Pacific Mantas and Hammerheads in La Paz

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hiroshimasunset

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi all,

when was the last time anyone actually spotted Pacific Manta Rays or Hammerheads on the dive sites around La Paz, Mexico. I read a lot of reports about destructive fishing practices in that area that have decimated populations of both these species in the sea of Cortez. Unfortunately dive centers in Mexico are prone to telling lies about numbers of animals in their area and the frequency of sightings in order to protect their business. So who's seen them over the past couple of years?

I know there there have been a few Hammerheads sighted at Gordo Banks in the past few weeks, so hopefully this means more will arrive. In Coba San Lucas, dive centers commonly refer to smaller Mobula Rays (Devils Rays) as Mantas, which I think is misleading. Mobulas and Eagle rays can be seen around Cabo San Lucas, but it is rare to see Pacific Mantas in this area.

Cheers all.

BUMP

I'd sure like to hear an answer to this.

I believe that you have to travel about 300 miles south to see the Big animals.

We are headed there in Nov. on the Rocio del Mar!

We were in La Paz about 2 years ago and we went on one dive specifically looking for hammerheads and we saw 2. The guide said it was pretty hit or miss and that we were lucky to have seen some.

I dove Gordo Banks in November of 2012 on nitrox. We were lucky and were able to see a big school of hammerheads down deep on our first dive. Couldn't find them again on the second dive, although I am sure they were still there.

Back
Top Bottom