Pack Or Carry Reg?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We carry our regs and dive computer in our carryon. The rest is in our checked luggage. I agree that the idea of sticking a rental reg in my mouth makes me think twice about diving. Everything else can be MasterCarded if need be.

I always carry on my regs and computer...everything else, unless you're someplace really remote, can be replaced with your plastic if lost or damaged beyond repair... But I carry all risk on my expensive camera equipment.
Loretta

We carry on our regs, computer and a swimsuit. Wouldn't really have a problem with rental gear if everything was delayed or lost, but I really want my own regulator.
Sharky....Dive-Ho and I will see you in Cozumel soon!

Carry on regs, computers, and mask. I don't want to lose rent anything, but I especially don't want to lose or rent those and not a problem to fit in my carryon along with bathing suit, toiletries, and even a few bits of clothing.

ok, so I'm not nuts, like I said I've ALWAYS carried mine. Last year going through Miami airport security on the way to Grand Bahama, the security people acted like they had never seen a regulator rig before and I know hundreds if not thousands of divers go through that airport every year. It just got me wondering if I was the only one still doing it or not.

I usually coil both my rig and my wifes up and wrap them in hand towels and put them at the bottom of my back pack. going through Dallas security they usually just put a hand down the bag and verify that's what is down there, in Miami they made me totally unpack the back pack and then they would look over the equipment like it was something from outer space.

Folks,

This is one answer that may have to become a sticky note: "The cargo hold is NOT...I repeat...NOT un-pressurized. It is not even at a lower pressure than where you sit. It is at the exact same pressure as your body at all times in any pressurized aircraft."

Cheers!

IowaDiver:
I agree that the idea of sticking a rental reg in my mouth makes me think twice about diving.
But the *rest* of your mouth is in the water, and we all know what W.C. Fields said about water... :wink:

BigJetDriver69:
This is one answer that may have to become a sticky note: "The cargo hold is NOT...I repeat...NOT un-pressurized. It is not even at a lower pressure than where you sit. It is at the exact same pressure as your body at all times in any pressurized aircraft."
Good thing too, since there isn't a whole lot of structural metal between the seats above and the hold below.

The cargo hold is NOT...I repeat...NOT un-pressurized. It is not even at a lower pressure than where you sit. It is at the exact same pressure as your body at all times in any pressurized aircraft.
But it is at a lower pressure than sea level, as I found out recently when a pen emptied itself into my breast pocket :censored:

Is the cargo hold also kept at cabin temperature in currently used passenger jets?

Art

I carry my reg, computer, mask, and dive log in my carry-on. I usually just pull out the reg before sending it through the metal detector, because they almost always ask to look at it anyway.

To solve the lock issue, I have a couple of TSA approved luggage locks that I use for my checked luggage. They cost $8-10 each and can be picked up from just about any mall-type travel store. They're combination locks, but the TSA can use a "special" key to open for inspection. It's about as sturdy as the old non-TSA approved luggage locks, which isn't too bulletproof. But at least it will keep the baggage handlers from snooping. I trust TSA inspection agents much more than baggage handlers (sorry if there's any baggage handlers out there).

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom