Pack Or Carry Reg?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Carry on regs, computer and camera - check everything else and use the TSA approved locks. A couple of years ago had dive bag arrive at Little Cayman a day behind us, it was nice to be able to dive with my reg and computer and rent everything else.

sharky60:
ok, so I'm not nuts, like I said I've ALWAYS carried mine. Last year going through Miami airport security on the way to Grand Bahama, the security people acted like they had never seen a regulator rig before and I know hundreds if not thousands of divers go through that airport every year. It just got me wondering if I was the only one still doing it or not.

I usually coil both my rig and my wifes up and wrap them in hand towels and put them at the bottom of my back pack. going through Dallas security they usually just put a hand down the bag and verify that's what is down there, in Miami they made me totally unpack the back pack and then they would look over the equipment like it was something from outer space.
Yeah, what is up with the guys in Miami not knowing what a reg and dive computer are?! The guy in Kansas City, (yes, that completely land locked furthest city from any good sized water) looks at the x-ray of my bag and says "I see you're going scuba diving" the guy in Miami thinks I'm smuggling electronics to Honduras I guess!

kent_1848:
Yeah, what is up with the guys in Miami not knowing what a reg and dive computer are?! The guy in Kansas City, (yes, that completely land locked furthest city from any good sized water) looks at the x-ray of my bag and says "I see you're going scuba diving" the guy in Miami thinks I'm smuggling electronics to Honduras I guess!

Carry-on an Aqualung reg bag. Unzip bag, announce its scuba gear, X-ray by committee, and they still swab it all and sniff for explosives. Everytime!

It feels like I am a TSA training exercise. Miami is bad but, how about Honolulu too!

Still worth the short hassle to keep my life support away from the luggage apes and bag buzzards out on the tarmac. 30 years of business travel and I 've had my share of lost/damaged/stolen luggage nightmares.

In fairness to TSA inspectors on the gates, they're just trying to do a job. I just get there early and deal with it.

But then again... I'll probably change my tune if I'm subjected to a body cavity search.

Good Diving!

mack50md:
Carry-on an Aqualung reg bag. Unzip bag, announce its scuba gear, X-ray by committee, and they still swab it all and sniff for explosives. Everytime!

It feels like I am a TSA training exercise. Miami is bad but, how about Honolulu too!

Interestingly enough, this was also my experience at Honolulu airport only a couple of weeks ago. I carried my regs in my carry-on, and had no problems at LAX, and no problems at Kahului Maui.

But for some reason, the TSA folks at Honolulu decided they needed a closer look at my carry-on. I told her that it's a scuba diving reg and computer. She took it out, and looked at it and seemed satisifed that it was just that. She also searched the rest of my bag, including the pockets.

Now, the part I can't figure out: after doing a thorough search of my bag, SHE SENDS IT THROUGH X-RAY AGAIN! She knows what it is, and knows there's nothing else in the bag. What did she think she'd find the second time around?

I can understand if I was flying out of an airport that does not see a lot of scuba divers. But Honolulu? The TSA folks there should already be familiar with scuba gear, since so many divers pass through there.

Going back to the original thread, after seeing what the baggage handlers did to my suitcase somewhere between LAX and Kahului Maui (via Honolulu) I'm glad I checked my reg/computer setup. When I picked up my bag I noticed it wouldn't stand up at all, and when I checked it I found out one of the legs was broken off. After flying to Honolulu, I noticed the other leg was about to be broken off. I wouldn't want to imagine what would have happened if my reg and computer were in that same bag.

Perhaps y'all can shed a little light on this - I traveled by air for the first time in many years out to San Diego a couple of weeks back, and also took scuba gear by air for the first time. To avoid potential problems with the thought police, I called the airline and inquired about carrying my regs in a carry-on. The advice I got was that I would be denied boarding since "scuba regulators", tanks, and BC's" were mandatory check items. This was American Airlines, maybe others are more accomodating?

The trip ended with my large carry-on having stuff broken off it, strap connectors missing, the internal stiffeners broken, and the bag heading for the trashcan soon, but the gear survived.

Tom

See http://www.tsa.gov/public/interapp/editorial/editorial_1190.xml
"Regulators, Buoyancy Compensators and mask, snorkel and fins are all acceptable as checked or carry-on baggage." So, at least TSA allows them as carry-on. (Not something to be pushy about, but if overall TSA policy says something is allowed as carry-on, the airline ought to. Don't forget to check the knife if your computer has one on the back of it.)

sharky60:
Ok, y'all here's another one of those informal polls,
do you pack or carry your regulator when you travel, it used to be in the past that it was a better idea to carry you reg with you because depth gauges didn't do well in unpressurized luggage compartments.

As long as I'm not interlining, I check everything. Delayed bag rates on U.S. flag carriers are actually very low (0.6%; less than 0.3% if you eliminate the four worst, and I'm fairly sure interlining accounts for a lot of that tiny number); lost bag rates about 0.003%.

Everything is rentable, in extremis. I ziptie every zipper, which is enough to make the casual thief move on to easier prey and triggers the TSA to re-fasten with their tamper-tells if they have to open it.

(I admit that I'm considering carrying on my reg -- but only because that's six pounds toward my 50 pound bag weight limit.)

(Here's an obscure trivia question: under what circumstance can you use non-TSA-openable locks on your baggage and be assured that while they will search your bag, they also will (under penalty of Federal felony prosecution) relock it with your lock while you watch?)

I carry my reg, can light minus battery (per TSA battery has to be packed), computer, prescription mask, and camera. Actually, I will carry as much gear as my drag along carry on case will handle, but that list is the minimum.

sharky60:
Ok, y'all here's another one of those informal polls,
do you pack or carry your regulator when you travel, it used to be in the past that it was a better idea to carry you reg with you because depth gauges didn't do well in unpressurized luggage compartments.
now with computers are more people packing thier regs? I've always carried mine, just because I think the luggage gets handled too much and now after 911 you can't lock the stuff.

haven't carried my regs as carry on in years and I generally travel with at least 5 sets of regs plus my rebreather... The only things that go in my carry on are my dive computers, electronics and some camera equipment..

Spend a few $$ and get insurance on the gear everything can be replaced...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom