Package Deal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I paid 800 for my vt3, i love it , only have 2 hoses. Most of the instructors at my lds also use the vt3 or the vt pro (previous model).

I wouldn't normally consider $300 for a used reg a good deal, used regs are often not a great deal as it looks at first due to service costs. (At least you don't have to pay to get it serviced right away which would eat into any savings.) It depends some what brand/model it is, but often rental regs are reliable workhorse models - not the higher end, nicer breathing ones.

You say that includes maintenance on the reg - is that lifetime? Of course it is only the lifetime of the shop, but still that could make it a really good deal. Are they including parts or just labor? Make sure they are not going to give you labor then charge a lot for parts.

I also question buying a used reg that might be low end, with a high end computer, and would be inclined to reverse that. Getting the most expensive computer in the shop is not necessarily "best", they just have more bells and whistles that you may find you never care about. When a previous poster said "better" what they probably meant was not more expensive, but most suitable.

You say you haven't used anything else yet. I know you don't want to lose out on a good deal, but it would be good to at least do a little more research first. Learn about computers and the pros and cons of wireless AI computers. Learn about regs. It's good you liked the BC but can't hurt to learn more about those too.

I would say buy from your local shop! I run a local shop, have an online store, and we try our hardest to give the best service. Some of these bigger only online places, that will remain nameless, are just trying to make a buck and not give customer service. Im positive your local shop will try to match or at least come close to matching the price on the internet, at least give him the opportunity. Some people forget that if they dont help us stay alive, where will they go in the future for their questions and repairs? Im not saying these online places are bad, dont get me wrong, but keep your dollar local.........it helps the little guys :D and lets us keep helping you

I'd definitely go for a less expensive computer; that's one area where spending more money does absolutely nothing to increase it's effectiveness diving. Brand new divers with no SPG will NOT be happy if they suddently lose air supply information due to a signal loss. You could get the same oceanic computer on your wrist with no AI for about $350 and spend $75 for a reliable SPG, and have exactly the same information when you're diving, except for the fact that air pressure is on a guage rather than on your wrist. Oh yeah, what happens if your computer or battery says "so long" during a dive? With an SPG and a buddy, you know how much gas you have and your depth/time by sticking with your buddy. With AI, you're out of luck on the gas info. While that's probably not a life threatening situation, it's definitely no fun for a new diver.

The reg could be a great deal or a stinker depending on the reg. I would not hesitate to buy a used reg from the right source; I had a friend recently purchase a 10 year old reg from an excellent tech, and of course it's in perfect condition and is every bit as reliable as a new reg. But, if it's a SP MK2, which is a common rental reg, they're only $250 new, so.....you might see exactly what reg it is, then decide.

The transmitter AI setups have caused some people grief. It's not that it's something awful, just that a good, small, transducer/transmitter is not a simple thing to make.

An analog SPG on a hose can fail (anything can), but is an overall pretty reliable beast short of smashing it with a rock.

Not that AI is bad, if you have the $, just that an analog SPG really does work well, at much lower $.

I don't know why, but I never get notifications of replies, even when I'm subscribed. I had to go through my posting list to find the topic. After looking at some of the prices of other regulators online, I did decide to go ahead and get a regulator/octo new.

As far as that goes though, what is the real difference in these regulators? I have only used the Oceanic's that I've trained with and yeah I can breathe, but what else is there to look for in a regulator? I know I want it to be capable of 40% Nitrox without adjustments, but other than than, what's the difference between a Tusa RS-110 reg that only costs $136 and Poisedon that costs $700? Is it just the material it's made with, or will you really feel the difference?

As far as the acronyms, I'm lost with what AI and SPG means.

ai - air intergrated
spg - submerged pressure guage

Ok with diving think about what you are doing and why you are doing it. You NEED tanks/regulators/exposure/spg/bottom timer/depth timer/fins/mask/knife/ weights /buoyancy compensator.

Other things you might consider necessery. Compass/reel/smb/torch.

The computer can be seen as a useful thing but it won't add much to your diving whether it's a $150 second hand one or a $800 dollar new one.

Okay, cool a checklist. I've got the whole snorkel package, exposure I'm not getting yet because as it is I still feel hot in the water (in Miami). Knife - Just bought 2 today

This is what I'm looking at as dive system.
The BC - Zeagle Escape $320
The Regulator - Oceanic Alpha 8 $149.95
Octopus- Oceanic Slimline 2 Octo $89.95
SPG - Sherwood 3 Gauge Navcon with Compass
and Max Depth Indicator 200 feet $200.00
Computer - Aeris Atmos 2 Air/Nitrox Computer $214.98

This will pretty much cover just about everything besides the tank right? As far as the tank goes, steel can handle Nitrox and Aluminum cannot, correct? I want to plan for the future, and my next step is more than likely going to be Nitrox, so I was thinking of a Steel 100. With that being said, if one weekend I want to dive Air and the next weekend I want to dive Nitrox, will the same tank handle it all? Or do you need a tank just for air and another tank just for nitrox?

I don't know why, but I never get notifications of replies, even when I'm subscribed. I had to go through my posting list to find the topic. After looking at some of the prices of other regulators online, I did decide to go ahead and get a regulator/octo new.
Go to UserCP above, then add SB to your favorites from that page. Enter thru it and you'll see all of your subscribed threads that have new posts. When you post to a thread, you probably auto subscribe.

I kind of liked the refurbished Reg. It was a good price on a high end reg, I presume - even tho you didn't give make & model, which kinda defeats the whole discussion. A used reg off of E-bay is a crap shoot, but a refurbished & guaranteed reg from your LDS is virtually as good as new. Both of mine are refurbished now, altho I bought them new, and they sleep where I sleep.
laffslast:
Okay, cool a checklist. I've got the whole snorkel package, exposure I'm not getting yet because as it is I still feel hot in the water (in Miami). Knife - Just bought 2 today
Why 2 - just in the mood to buy things? It happens.
This is what I'm looking at as dive system.
The BC - Zeagle Escape $320
The Regulator - Oceanic Alpha 8 $149.95
Octopus- Oceanic Slimline 2 Octo $89.95
Whoa?! I like Oceanic, but that is their low end reg. As enthusiastic as you seem, you'll want a better performance reg, I think - like their Delta 4. You may want to read more here.
SPG - Sherwood 3 Gauge Navcon with Compass
and Max Depth Indicator 200 feet $200.00
Computer - Aeris Atmos 2 Air/Nitrox Computer $214.98

This will pretty much cover just about everything besides the tank right?
OMG no, there will always be more to spend money on. :lol2:
As far as the tank goes, steel can handle Nitrox and Aluminum cannot, correct?
No, not correct at all. They both can.
I want to plan for the future, and my next step is more than likely going to be Nitrox, so I was thinking of a Steel 100. With that being said, if one weekend I want to dive Air and the next weekend I want to dive Nitrox, will the same tank handle it all? Or do you need a tank just for air and another tank just for nitrox?
A Nitrox clean tank is fine with Nitrox clean air, but not your usual scuba compressor air. For local diving, you probably would be happiest with 1 Nitrox tank and 1 Air tank, as even boat charters give a good discount when you bring your own tank - their way of charging us tourists more than the locals, as the discount is more than a tank rental fee would be otherwise. They have their reasons for discounting to locals.

You don't wear a skin when you dive? If you ever get a scrape or cut and it looks worse the next day - go to ER, you don't have time for an appointment.

Mask, snorkel, fins & booties you already had for training, I suppose? Got dive lights, Storm whistle, and Sausage already I suppose? I'd never think of going in without those.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom