Package Deal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So back to the question, what is the difference to look for in regulators? It all looks the same except for the price.

You're correct, bought all of my snorkel equipment from my LDS. Have a noise maker, and head mounted torch but no sausage. So far I've only been on chartered dives, so don't see a point of getting one when it's all a big group.

Yeah, I do know I'll never be done spending money on diving, but the orignal set up I had listed was just to go diving. Once I get into cave/wreck etc then I'll start worrying about reels and such.

laffslast:
So back to the question, what is the difference to look for in regulators? It all looks the same except for the price.
Only from the outside. The higher end regs give better performance.
You're correct, bought all of my snorkel equipment from my LDS. Have a noise maker, and head mounted torch but no sausage. So far I've only been on chartered dives, so don't see a point of getting one when it's all a big group.
Charters lose divers at sea. Look over some thread titles in the Accidents forum. A Sausage is the minimum visual marker I'd suggest for anyone diving; imho only fools go out without them. I guess you have an underwater noisemaker (ugg) but a Storm whistle can be heard at great distance on the surface; I carry one in case my Dive Alert horn doesn't work - at least get the Storm Whistle.
Yeah, I do know I'll never be done spending money on diving, but the orignal set up I had listed was just to go diving. Once I get into cave/wreck etc then I'll start worrying about reels and such.
The Storm whistle and Sausage are minimums for any ocean diving.

Cool thanks for your help Don. I just read on oceanic's website about the whole ease of breathing factor, and didn't know it was a real issue. I guess at greater depths it would make a big difference. Time to go do some more homework on regs. As far as the sausage and whistle, it's the cheapest of all things bought so far, so that's no biggie. I'll be sure to add those ASAP.

laffslast:
Cool thanks for your help Don. I just read on oceanic's website about the whole ease of breathing factor, and didn't know it was a real issue. I guess at greater depths it would make a big difference. Time to go do some more homework on regs.
Good! :thumb:
As far as the sausage and whistle, it's the cheapest of all things bought so far, so that's no biggie. I'll be sure to add those ASAP.
No biggie price, big biggie if the boat can't find you on the surface, wind has churned up waves, drifting with the current, etc. Not just any whistle: Storm Whistle. :wink:

Hi laffslast,
Your new list looks better than the original - I'd rather get a highend reg than highend computer. I also trust analog SPG more than electronic because computers can break/flood, batteries can die etc.
Regs vary in their material, piston or diaphragm 1st stage, and whether their 1st and 2nd stages are balanced or not, and more. And yes, while most regs breathe great at 15ft, they certainly don't breathe the same at 100ft.
My first set of gear was Oceanic as well: Delta 3 reg, gamma octo, Probe BCD, Prodigy (air only) computer, even Oceanic mask and snorkel. All Oceanic regs are very good. The Alpha is excellent value for the price and bests even some $300-$400 regs. Divernet (UK dive website) frequently tests high-end regs against the Oceanic Alphas. To get an objective look at regs on this side of the Atlantic, I'd visit Rodales' Scuba Diving's regulator tests: http://www.scubadiving.com/diving/regulators/
If money is not a problem and you dive SW mostly, then I'd recommend an Oceanic Delta4 FDX10 or Gamma2 CDX (both diaphragm).
I definitely second getting a good sausage and practice in the pool before your open ocean dive so you know how to deploy it. Also consider a whislte or better still, DiveAlert air horn. Be sure to rinse it or else it corrodes after a few dives.
As for computer, good choice. I have an earlier model (Oceanic Versa Pro - earlier clone of the AERIS). The only issue I have about Oceanic/Aeris computers is they are a little too liberal due to the algorithms they use. Not a problem unless you do over 4 dives a day and push your deco limits. But if you do more or push into the caution zone a lot, then perhaps a UWatec/Scubapro computer using Buhlmann Algorithm may be more suitable.
By doing more reading/research, or talking to other divers in your city about their gear before deciding on your gear package, you might reduce chances of regretting your gear purchase later on. Good luck and dive safely.

Oh, i wasn't trying to state a check list, i was saying the MINIMUM things needed to actually dive.

SMB being cheap? well if you buy a H one its over $100. then you've got the reel/spool to run it off. Then you've got too store it somewhere before you use it. Pockets?

When i got into diving i really thought it was as easy & cheap as you currently think. You need certain equipment to get you down and to stay down for a certain amount of time. This is the equipment i've purchased since starting to dive (mine you i did go DIR-F).

Harness
MC Storage

Dry Suit
2 * Bellow Pockets
Hood
Gloves 3mm + 5mm (learnt that 3mm aren't great in 3 degree water)
Fins
spring straps for fins
2 * mask
1 * snorkel (a cheap piece of crap for PADI ow)
2 * neoprene mask straps
P-valve
catheters for p-valve
undersuit 120gram thinsulate
200g socks
undersuit 3 layer base (top/pants/socks)
various bags (reg/kit/torch)

2 * 12l steel
2 * trim weights
Weight belt
Shot weight (4*3kg , 4*2kg , 4*1kg) (i use 5kg in salt water, go figure :p)
Knife + sheath
2* backup lights
1* can light
1 * buckle for canister
Wet notes

2 * second stage regulators
1 * 1st stage regulator
1 * spg
a complete set of custom length hoses inc. dry suit feed

compass
bottom timer
watch
o2 analyser
computer (which i lost on dive 10 :p)

Smb
reel

various other items including bungeee/double enders/bolt snaps

All i'm trying to say is never under estimate the cost diving is going to bring you, even at a basic level like me, the costs keep escalating, theres also costs for extra courses, and obviously the actual diving and transport to the dives. i've got so many more things i want to buy such as doubles/extra reg, on top of the fact my compass has broke, one ofr my bolt snaps sticks, etc etc.

Looks a decent list though, you should consider a better regulator, maybe not get a three instrument console. I've been diving 2 years and my compass already broke, and ive lost a stinger. Think of the drag caused by a huge triple console, and where it's going to lie in the water unless you secure it.
Oh and the snorkel can be used to stage fun faux sword fights whilst on the dive boat :p

We could go on & on about which gear you should actually get - and just may. :lol2: Lots of good opinions here. I still don't know why the original Refurb Reg was a bad idea; did you get a make & model? If it's guaranteed by a LDS you trust, I'd go for it. LP sells Refurbs without even stating them as such.

SMB being cheap? well if you buy a H one its over $100. then you've got the reel/spool to run it off. Then you've got too store it somewhere before you use it. Pockets?
I'm not about to argue with DIR protocols. For his diving, a $20 Sausage is a lot more than nothing, and - all I'm going to carry on my dives. Gawd, I feel like a dive shop by the time I step off the boat anyway.

Looks a decent list though, you should consider a better regulator, maybe not get a three instrument console. I've been diving 2 years and my compass already broke, and ive lost a stinger. Think of the drag caused by a huge triple console, and where it's going to lie in the water unless you secure it.
Oh and the snorkel can be used to stage fun faux sword fights whilst on the dive boat
Broke your compass? Damn. Hope you're not diving without one.

Is a triple console that much larger than a double? I do like all 3 instruments to show at once, so I have my compass on my hose with a double. At any rate, yes - secure it on a retractor.

Compasses don't work too well when surrounded by huge clumps of metals :p.

Nah, my main point was, when you first start diving, don't underestimate the hidden costs, this is something that shot me down a heap loads and caused me to just about half the number of dives i did last year. Basically everytime i tried to go diving i had to spend it on buying another piece of equipment. I don't give a flying crap about whether some1 is DIR compliant or not, i'm was just stating the equipment I purchased because I chose DIR-F, but you will still need a reel with that sausage(dsmb) if he's doing reef/wrecks? hey i've never dived with just a smb, so im out of knoweldge here :p.

We'll have to meet so i can sword fight you into submission, mines blue :p

We'll have to meet so i can sword fight you into submission, mines blue :p
Aw, you'd win. My is a folding model that fits in my BC pocket so I can get to it if I want to use it. Velcro attachments.

LOL.....some funny stuff.....Laffslast, I recommend going into your local store and trying a few different regs. Feel how they work and figure out which one you like. I always pull out a tank for my customers to try a few regs. I dont try to sell them a reg, I just point out the differences and let them see if those differences are something they want or not. $149 on a Alpha is a decent price, must be the cheaper sport model, but you cant go wrong with the oceanic line. I know this is a shameless plug, but check out my website, One of the specials of the month is a free octo with any reg purchase........

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom