Package opinion??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

after I figure out whether I was wrong or right about the tank size/material - if not my additional one will be different....

This is an example of where you should slow down cause you don't realize stuff yet. If you get 2 tanks (at this point typically to do 2 dives without having to go someplace for a fill) - you probably won't want one to be different, because that will cause your weighting needs to change every time you change tanks, which is a big pain. Not only the amount, but possibly it's distribution.

And just because the friends you are diving with use something, is no reason at all you should get the same thing. Hey, maybe there something better out now then when they bought theirs, and then they'll want what you have.

It sounds like you don't really want advice that doesn't confirm what you already decided you want to do, so, do whatever. Buy stuff and resell it all cheap to the rest of us when it turns out to be the wrong stuff. :shakehead: That's how we get good deals.

You need to get with some more buddies(ie divers) and have a talk with them.........don't get in too big of a hurry...I bought for 3(myself, wife, & daughter) the weekend after we were certified, & that was very fast, but didn't have the options like we have today ie more dive shops(there were no other ones for over 60 miles then) and no INTERNET back then.....---you have time---test ie checkout all the gear you can(free of charge) for now........

anybody...? I realize its a personal choice and am prepared to trade/sell incopatible parts - I guess I am trying to find out if anything (especially important parts like the regs) are not GOOD - let me rephrase - EXCELLENT, if something is not excellent give me an alternative!!! Please. - I dont WANT TO spend more money but like said will get it all at once...

do it right or dont do it at all...is my motto....

damselfish - youre not being nice to me.....thats ok...to me spending $1.5k later or spending $2k now is worth it - but...you could have helped me out on the safety systems as I would have liked to have known what is the SAFEST/BEST important equipment in this price range as I am not made of money....
if you were at 150' and could have no backup air - what would you have?????

besides - the re-sales would not necessarily go to the scubapro public as my friends would surely snap this stuff up as it is what they like....I have known some of them for 20years...

diver_85 - thanks for the great pics and suggestions....I have trusted these guys with my life and would trust their judgement more than any new buddies....I love your pics - looks like my wifes Canon A570IS might get swiped if I end up with a nice camera housing....

thanks all - I havent exactly gotten anywhere as far as equipment - so if I contract herpes or die because of poorly maintained/ used rental equipment its all your fault - lol

I tried - I guess I will wait and be no better off exept knowing that I dont like using anyone elses stuff....

Selecting gear is more like a "decision tree" than one decision. What you need to have depends upon the water temperature. Figure out where you are going and get information from people who dive there.

Water temp determines your suit, so get that figured out and shop for that first. The type of BC you'll need depends on what suit you get. A cold water suit probably will require you to wear more lead, and everything sets up from there. And... the type of "submarine" all that gear makes you determines the best fins for propulsion. Water temp is a factor in what regulator you need.

I would not do well in Pennsylvania with my present kit of gear.

Computer? That depends on the gas you choose, which depends on depth. Some divers choose not to use a computer, and for others it is a must.

Think of the decision tree. You may make better choices proceeding that way. Have fun with it.

thanks stu s. - like said in my earlier post I am in Arkansas and will dive on my lake above 55°F and any trips to the QLD Reef - went to college there so I must visit....maybe some Caribbean - but all relatively warm water. Thanks for the hint on the suit.

damselfish - youre not being nice to me.....thats ok...to me spending $1.5k later or spending $2k now is worth it - but...you could have helped me out on the safety systems as I would have liked to have known what is the SAFEST/BEST important equipment in this price range as I am not made of money....
if you were at 150' and could have no backup air - what would you have?????

besides - the re-sales would not necessarily go to the scubapro public as my friends would surely snap this stuff up as it is what they like....I have known some of them for 20years...

diver_85 - thanks for the great pics and suggestions....I have trusted these guys with my life and would trust their judgement more than any new buddies....I love your pics - looks like my wifes Canon A570IS might get swiped if I end up with a nice camera housing....

thanks all - I havent exactly gotten anywhere as far as equipment - so if I contract herpes or die because of poorly maintained/ used rental equipment its all your fault - lol

I tried - I guess I will wait and be no better off exept knowing that I dont like using anyone elses stuff....

I don't see how damselfish wasn't being nice to you. But that's okay. You said you're okay with it.

The safest/best/most important gear at 150' for me would be enough gas, great regulators and a warm suit. So I'd be diving doubles, breathing through Apeks regulators and wearing a drysuit. My bc would be a backplate/wing set up. You have asked, and gotten answers.

It's the collective experience on this forum that is suggesting to wait and see what you like and don't like before making any investment. It's not being said without just cause. Many of us have gone the route you're going...and it cost us money and we've learned from it. It's up to you if you choose to to heed the advice given or not. Noone's going to make you listen or make you wait. But collectively, it's agreed that it's in your best interest to do so...especially since you're not made of money as you say.

Shane

If your tank has enough air for an hour, and turn cold blue in 15 minutes, why bother to dive in? The whole term is "exposure protection" and includes booties, hood, suit, and gloves. Some folks really spend and get a dry suit.

Getting a good fitting wetsuit may require experienced help. I see plenty of folks with funny-fitting suits. A good fit on the hood is just as important. We are lucky to have a dive superstore in Orlando that has multiple brands of suits, all sizes. Most of us have to try a number of them on.

This is what I would consider the starting point.

Stu.

I just found your thread here after seeing your post in support. It looks like you have received a lot of good suggestions, much of it from very experienced divers - much of which I support in agreement, the rest I am not as qualified as they to discuss.

You seem intent on owning your own kit now, tho - ok, fine. You even have a couple of good escape plans if you decide you don't like your first collection. I never dived any Mares products so I can't help you there, but buying what your trusted buddies like and know well does have some merit. They can help you with it much more than if you chose other products.

I am going to comment on some of your other items...
  1. force fin "slim fins" - have you tried them in a pool?
  2. scubapro crystal VY single window mask - get one that fits well.
  3. scubapro mk25 - that's what I upgraded to
  4. steel 130 tank - you're a big fellow, so a big tank would be beneficial.
  5. tusa spg - I couldn't care less who makes my spg
  6. zeagle tech bcd - don't know
  7. suunto gekko - not at all my favorite. This subject deserves much more study - see Computer sub-forum.
  8. suunto sk7 compass - it's a compass.

If you're going to dive in your local lakes of 55 F, I'd suggest a minimum of a 7 mil suit, heavy gloves, neoprene socks, heavy booties that will fit over the socks, and a heavy hood. For better opinions on this, talk to the divers on the California and Pacific Northwest sub-forums, as they dive such all the time.

I just found your thread here after seeing your post in support. It looks like you have received a lot of good suggestions, much of it from very experienced divers - much of which I support in agreement, the rest I am not as qualified as they to discuss.

You seem intent on owning your own kit now, tho - ok, fine. You even have a couple of good escape plans if you decide you don't like your first collection. I never dived any Mares products so I can't help you there, but buying what your trusted buddies like and know well does have some merit. They can help you with it much more than if you chose other products.

I am going to comment on some of your other items...
  1. force fin "slim fins" - have you tried them in a pool? I tried them diving and like them - (octosuckerr)
  2. scubapro crystal VY single window mask - get one that fits well. (used it snorkeling like it)
  3. scubapro mk25 - that's what I upgraded to (thanks this is the important stuff I dont know at all)
  4. steel 130 tank - you're a big fellow, so a big tank would be beneficial. (thats what I figured - harder to get in the boat - but hey - everyone else does it)
  5. tusa spg - I couldn't care less who makes my spg (I worry about this as - lol - I am really worried about gauges malfunctioning...maybe thats stupid)
  6. zeagle tech bcd - don't know (my buddies swear by this and I am like them in a lot of ways - so if they're wrong - it would be one of the first - ready to take a risk)
  7. suunto gekko - not at all my favorite. This subject deserves much more study - see Computer sub-forum. (gotcha - lack of backlight bothers me - my "brothers" are split on this - one says mares m2? with constant backlight - other 2 say gekko for menus and a divelamp charge in water - they carry a lot of lamps (x3) the lakes I guess..)
  8. suunto sk7 compass - it's a compass.
(this is the only one I am sure about - I am very good at land orienteering - its a no brainer for me) I have 3 Suunto land compasses for land navigation - superb.

If you're going to dive in your local lakes of 55 F, I'd suggest a minimum of a 7 mil suit, heavy gloves, neoprene socks, heavy booties that will fit over the socks, and a heavy hood. For better opinions on this, talk to the divers on the California and Pacific Northwest sub-forums, as they dive such all the time.

now mind you 55°F is the minimum temp for my a$$ - mostly water will be 77°F here during summer when I will be trying to find Bonnie & Clydes car....lol

thank you sir - for a very informative opinion!!!:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom