packing regulators in hold luggage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

regs go in checked luggage jammed in with fins, bcd and wetsuit and other junk. no special protection required. none of these are fragile items. our regs are close to 30 years old and have been on over several hundred airplane rides. no issues.

computers, prescription mask and camera goes carry on.

Reactions: Doc
I also put my regs wrapped in a wetsuit into the checked luggage. It's well protected in the middle of the bag surrounded by the BC, boots, neoprene socks, fins, possibly a mesh bag, etc. My mask is in the original hard case for traveling, also in the middle of the bag.

I put regs, masks, lights and computers in carryon. I don't really see a problem with them in checked baggage, but bags are handled roughly, and these are the most easily damaged pieces. Mostly, I am just reducing the weight of checked bags.

Sent from an old fashioned 300 baud acoustic modem by whistling into the handset. Really.

Remove all the hoses from the 1st stage. Wrap the 2nd stage(s) with a T-shirt(s). And they all go into the check bag.
Only the canister light head(HID), computer and mask are carry on. LED light/head go into the check bag as well.

Last edited:
Four regs, two computers, GoPro set up, can light, and one Atomic mask go in carry-on bag. Partly weight, partly because I won't be able to rent these specific things when I get where I'm going. I can wear the same clothes for two weeks, but I ain't diving some crappy mask and regs.

Swim suit, mask, regs, and dive computer in carryon, a large hard sided suitcase with BCD's, wet suits, fins, lights, etc., along with everything else to get it to 49 pounds gets checked. I could rent the equipment in the suitcase if necessary, but mask and regs I consider essential. My face is really hard to fit with a mask and while I trust my dive operator....I trust my regs/computer more. I read somewhere that dive computers in the unpressurized cargo hold could be a bad thing under certain conditions but have no idea if that is true or not.

I'm amazed at the "carry on" variations on the airlines. On our last flight back on American, there were people carrying on full sized luggage and cramming it in the overhead bin. You might check with the particular airline to see if a larger carry on might be allowed. With my travel luck, I'd get charged to $50-$100 oversize charge.

safe travels.

jay

. . . I read somewhere that dive computers in the unpressurized cargo hold could be a bad thing under certain conditions but have no idea if that is true or not.

I read somewhere that the "unpressurized cargo hold" is a myth and that it is pressurized just like the cabin.

We pack ours. They go in a designed regulator bag, padded, and then lay inside the bcd, in a quality dive bag designed for air travel, surrounded by other gear to make a neat but tight pack. We've never had a problem. I only carry one "must have" with my carry on- a prescription dive mask.
DIvemasterDennis

I usually have 25Kg of photo equipment in two bags (Pelican 1510 + LowePro backpack) plus dive computers as carry on, all the dive gear goes in the hold including regs.

Clothes and wetsuit are used for padding

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom