packing regulators in hold luggage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I read somewhere that the "unpressurized cargo hold" is a myth and that it is pressurized just like the cabin.

This is correct. Cargo holds are pressurized. Anyone who thinks they're unpressurized should consider, for a moment, the effect this would have on the tubes and bottles and other sealed items in your checked luggage. Not to mention the pets traveling in the cargo hold...

This is correct. Cargo holds are pressurized. Anyone who thinks they're unpressurized should consider, for a moment, the effect this would have on the tubes and bottles and other sealed items in your checked luggage. Not to mention the pets traveling in the cargo hold...
Really? and soon you will claim that it is not possible to do a DB Cooper. You are using facts to destroy my very thin grasp on reality...

Depends on location, but usually all I carry on is camera gear, Prescription mask & computer. The rest goes in hold. Alot of airlines limit cabin baggage weight to 7kg (15 lbs approx)

I carry everything I need to dive on the plane with me except for the stuff I'm getting at the dive shop.

Rebreather, bailout regulators, mask, fins, computer, dive shorts & rash guard, boots, butt-plate. All goes in bags carried on. Backup mask, lights, clothes etc. in the checked bag. If they lose my checked bag I'll just keep diving until they find it and wear what I wore on the plane in between.

I break up the dive gear into multiple different bags but have to pack two full sets of dive gear. The fins, BC's, and accessories like lights go into a wheeled mesh dive bag with some pool toys for the kids. The wetsuits and masks go into a duffel with the rest of my vacation clothes. I pack my daughter's regulator into the same duffel. I pack my regulator in my carry on and have a back pack with a zippered compartment at the bottom that is ideal for the set. I also take my wrist computer with me in the carry on.

I've never had any problems with the checked luggage but almost half the time I find the TSA has gone through the dive bag. I had one instance on the carry on they made me take out the regulator but that was the extent of the inspection.

Rebreather, bailout regulators, mask, fins, computer, dive shorts & rash guard, boots, butt-plate. All goes in bags carried on.
How much would that weight, may I ask?
Have you ever been refused at the gate?

I've never had any problems with the checked luggage but almost half the time I find the TSA has gone through the dive bag. I had one instance on the carry on they made me take out the regulator but that was the extent of the inspection.

Oh yes... gotta love the Terrorist Support Agency...

Coming back from Cozumel earlier this week, these clowns pulled BOTH our carryon bags (containing masks, regs, computers and lights) out. They gave me a VERY thorough patdown (I felt the need for a nap afterwards...) and then totally unpacked both bags. Regs had to come out of the reg bags. The insides of the bags and reg bags were swabbed. The terrorist insisted that I turn on my lights. I started with the can light, and I'm afraid I accidentally had it pointed directly at her face when I turned it on...
I didn't have to turn on the other lights, though...

How much would that weight, may I ask?
Have you ever been refused at the gate?

Good question. Many US-based airlines will tolerate carrying aboard a heavy bag of dive gear so long as it is under the size limit. However, Asian airlines seem to be getting wise to this attempt to flout the carry-on weight limit and will refuse you at the gate.

... insisted that I turn on my lights. I started with the can light, and I'm afraid I accidentally had it pointed directly at her face when I turned it on...
I didn't have to turn on the other lights, though...

What a swell guy... if there's any karma in this world I hope you never find yourself in a thankless job where people feel entitled to give you s**t all day. I've flown more than 500k miles commercially since 9/11 and have never once had an issue with a TSA agent. Sure I've had regs and can lights and computers swabbed. I've had to turn plenty of things on, explain what things are, etc. But always found these folks to be pleasant enough. Perhaps because I've never purposely - or accidentally - treated them like crap.

Well we all shine on
Like the moon and the stars and the sun

Instant Karma's gonna get you
Gonna knock you off your feet
Better recognize your brothers
Ev'ryone you meet

TSA agents definitely can be jerks. I was passing through security in Miami when one of them at the entrance to the body scanner reminded me to kindly remove my belt and then get back in line and wait until it was again my turn. Okay, I can accept that. So I removed the belt and put it through x-ray, but I had to keep a grip on my pants to keep them from slipping embarrassingly. As I entered the body scanner, they reminded me to lift my arms, which I did, and while my hands were above my head and my pants started slipping they barked at me "PULL YOUR PANTS UP!" They looked like they were enjoying my dilemma. Jerks. Until then, I had thought they were reasonably professional. That incident changed my opinion. Jerks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom