packing your bp/w

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mayastig:
i just got my bp/w so try to not mind my really weird questions, but i was wondering for those who have this kind of bc how do you pack it for travel? crates? just stuff it in the bag? dissasemble it and reassemble? just curious really...
I disassemble, putting the backplate and tank holder into a soft bag (as the first layer after my wetsuit) and the wing (with air sucked out) into a hard-sided suitcase, lightly folded. The big challenge is stowing the LPI hose in a way that reduces the likelihood of pinching or crushing. No problems so far with this method. I like the idea of folding the wing and bungeeing it, but the harness is too firm to pack neatly this way - and it leaves the wing folds outermost in your baggage and most vulnerable to any friction or impact. But - each to his own - whatever works.

I pack mine disassembled, too... plate first, then STA... having removed the bolts. I then put the reg bag(s) on top of the plate/STA. I put the wing near the top... usually protected by other soft stuff like my exposure suit and some clothing. I usually fold my wing in half and take extra care to see that the elbow of the corrugated hose is well protected.

I would also recommend disassembling the BP/W. I do not know if it was the glass from the bottle of wine my wife put in my dive bag (which broke against my BP during the flight) or other pressures, but I returned from Coz with a couple small holes in my almost brand new wing.

They were easy to patch, but could have been trouble if they went unnoticed. I am going to disassemble in the future.

DivingCRNA:
I would also recommend disassembling the BP/W. I do not know if it was the glass from the bottle of wine my wife put in my dive bag (which broke against my BP during the flight) or other pressures, but I returned from Coz with a couple small holes in my almost brand new wing.

They were easy to patch, but could have been trouble if they went unnoticed. I am going to disassemble in the future.

You might consider not packing glass with it, assembled or not.

DivingCRNA:

A glass of wine and a 6# sheet of SS may not be the best combination...

Charlie99:
How many people disassemble just to carry the wing and backplate back and forth from house to local shore or boat dives?

Not me - too much hassle - But I don't know why I'd want to, other than for an occassional thourough cleaning (scrub the plate down seperately etc..)

For air travel I put the assembled rig in the bottom of my suitcase, then pack clothes between the plate and wing so as to prevent the plate from coming into contact with the wing and pinching it - OR I fold the wing away from the plate, so there is none hanging over it that could get pinched. I've considered taking it all apart, but so far not done so for travel - Taking my wing off the plate takes about 3-5 minutes because I use the camband slots and have screws bolting the plate and wing together... so I just leave them together...

Aloha, Tim

kidspot:
Not me - too much hassle - But I don't know why I'd want to, other than for an occassional thourough cleaning (scrub the plate down seperately etc..)

For air travel I put the assembled rig in the bottom of my suitcase, then pack clothes between the plate and wing so as to prevent the plate from coming into contact with the wing and pinching it - OR I fold the wing away from the plate, so there is none hanging over it that could get pinched. I've considered taking it all apart, but so far not done so for travel - Taking my wing off the plate takes about 3-5 minutes because I use the camband slots and have screws bolting the plate and wing together... so I just leave them together...

Aloha, Tim
Yeah, but where do you put the wine?

I use a computer like bag and carry on my bp and wing. I also am able to stick in my masks and a couple of other small items. Knives ARE NOT an item I try to take on board nor is my pony. Knives are specifically not allowed...in writing and if you got one by....I would be amazed. Pony bottles are allowed "in writing" but i have always been told to check it if i want to take it. So I just print off TSA rules, put them in a hearty plastic cover and wrap the bottle with them along with an explanation of what it is and to take off the green cap to check for explosives and pls put it back on and put it in my check in baggage with at least one dive magazine. Oh, and a dive mag goes into my carry on too.

So far I have not disassembled my system. Since it is above me in the overhead compartment....I havent really seen a need to do so. BTW....my regs and computers are in a small back pack as my second carry on item. And yep, I set off all the alarms but so far no problems. In fact....when I put the bags up on the conveyor they will ask if I have video camera gear....as the xray kills the film. I will say loudly and with a big smile....""Oh no...no camera gear...but lots of dive gear.....regs....metal back plate...the whole nine yards.""

Since I have started doing that, I havent been searched. Now that I have typed it here, I will get the rubber glove treatment on my next trip. Wanna take bets?????

teknitroxdiver:
A glass of wine and a 6# sheet of SS may not be the best combination...

Yeah, we had a "talk" about that. And it was a whole bottle of red wine on my carefully washed out and packed gear. Daddy was not happy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom