PADI Advanced open water to instructer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Getting an Open Water Instructor certification is just the beginning. Once you are working in the industry, you have to take some time to determine what courses/qualifications will best improve your employability.

In some countries, a boat captain license goes a long way. In others, it is language skills. Compressor and equipment service technician qualifications are invariably useful.

Teaching speciality courses can help... but choose where you spend your money on these wisely. Nitrox, Deep, Bouyancy and digital photo are fairly 'mainstream', wheras other courses are more regional in terms of popularity (cavern, wreck, drift). Of course, you shouldhave a genuine interest or passion in the speciality areas you choose to gain teaching certifications in.

When considering what qualifications to invest in - I always balance the cost to obtain them against the likely profitability they will bring to me.

In terms of gaining experience - don't rush the step from Divemaster to Instructor. As a working divemaster, you will be engaged within the industry and get a great deal of experience. However, you will not earn much.

Also, be under no illusions.... working in the scuba industry will never make you rich. You will be sacrificing a lot to persue a career and lifestyle that many people will envy you for. However, you will miss out on a lot of other things..as your income will be low.

For the past 4 years, I have been working in SE Asia.... and my income has only ever covered my basic living costs, equipment and essential fees (PADI membership, insurance etc). I save money slowly...and this money is usually re-invested into training, travelling or equipment. Having said that...I wouldn't want to swap if for a well-paid office job! ha ha

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom