PADI diver identification question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Full name + Birth date

Name + birth date, but if you change your name you better make certain they update it well. Lost my new card and had to go through the joy of sending court docs again.

You can get one card with all your certs on it, if I'm not mistaken.

the K

So i took the aow and im doing the nitrox soon

its not going to specify both on the same card?

Nope. I just did both in Bonaire last week and I have to mail in two seperate applications for two seperate cards.

Doesn't really make a lot of sense to me either, but it probably makes sense for PADI as they would have to list on one card all of the possible certifications, of which they have many.

All you really need at any one time would be your Nitrox and Aow.

P.A.D.I. stands for Poor And Destitute Instructors.

PADI only allows them one number so the IRS can track them easier. :shocked2::shakehead:

You're correct on the individual certifications issued for every PADI rating until you reach "professional" level - Divemaster and above. It's a pain and something we bring up to PADI on a very regular basis, to have one (or at most a coulple) of c-cards that have multiple cert's listed on them.

Regarding PADI's database, the key identifiers are your name and your date of birth. So yes, if you use Jim or James on different cards they cannot cross reference them, same as adding or dropping a middle initial. Get's very frustrating sometimes looking up someone's previous certifications.

The good news is that the folks at PADI are very cooperative and will adjust the database if you find that you have cert's issued under different name configurations so that all of your certifications will then show up under one record.

Another piece of (what I'd consider) minor stupidity is that the Cert type (e.g., AOW) is on one side of the card, and every other piece of information is on the other side.

I've had several - more than two - Dive Ops make a photocopy of my C-card to keep along with the liability waiver etc. But they copy only the data side, and thus have no record of what the card certifies me for.

Unless there's a magic key embedded in the "Diver No.", which is very possible, but why so cryptic? Why not put the cert type with the rest of it, even if it's redundant with the pretty picture on the other side?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom