PADI DM requirement and PADI standards

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would contact PADI and see what they say, even if you don't take his class. This just appears to be a money grab.
RichH

It sounds like a money grab to me as well.

With that being said, having those two specialties is not a bad thing.

In my training, the CD I am working with "prefers" you to have those two specialties rather than doing the deep and search and recovery scenarios. So that is what I did. However, he offered those two specialties for $300. I had done one each of the 4 dives for each specialty in my AOW class. The deep one is a requirement, but the S & R is not. It just so happens it was one of my adventure dives. Because of the price he was offering, I saw this as nothing but beneficial and not a money grab.

It sounds like you have not yet purchased the Divemaster Crew pak. In that you would be able to check all of the standards in the Instructors manual as well as review the Information and Evaluation form. On that form you can see where Practical Skills 4 (S & R) and 5 (deep) can be checked off by having those specialties.

From 2014

Instructor
Manual

DivemasterCourse
Instructor Guide
Page 95

COURSE STANDARDS​
Certification Requirements​
Divemaster candidates meet course performance requirements and:• Complete knowledge development segments including Knowledge Reviews in the PADI​
Divemaster Manual or through Divemaster Online, and pass the Divemaster Final Exam.• Create an Emergency Assistance Plan for a designated dive site.• Complete waterskills exercises.• Complete a diver rescue assessment.• Complete the dive skills workshop and assessment.• Complete practical application skills.• Complete divemaster-conducted programs workshops.• Complete practical assessments.• Meet the professionalism criteria.At time of certification, verify the candidate has:• Logged at least 60 scuba dives including experience in night diving, deep diving and underwater navigation.• Completed EFR Primary and Secondary Care training within 24 months.• Read and agreed to the PADI Membership and License Agreements.
Diver Prerequisites​
• Certified as a PADI Advanced Open Water Diver and PADI Rescue Diver
18 years old• Logged 40 scuba dives• Completed EFR Primary and Secondary Care training within 24 months• Medically evaluated and cleared for diving by a physician within 12 months

I contacted a local PADI instructor for a DM course and he stated he requires the deep dive speciality as well as search and rescue for "safety reasons".
He's trying to rip you off.

He can teach me this for a nice fee of course.
Of Course.:wink:

Isn't the deep dive specialty required with PADI's AOW?

No AOW is a sampling of several specialties. So you may do a deep dive but that is not the same as doing the deep specialty.

The DM requirements are in the PADI instructor manual, and you need to complete a deep (DM skill 5) and search & recovery (skill 4) scenario. Those 2 skills have very specific tasks that need to be performed, which are a subset of the deep and search & recovery specialties. You do need to have logged "at least 60 scuba dives including experience in night diving, deep diving and underwater navigation" and have be "Certified as a PADI Advanced Open Water Diver and PADI Rescue Diver". Personally, I would be concerned if an instructor arbitrarily required additional items when it looked like they were just looking to profit from me, rather than providing a good education. If your deep or S&R skills aren't up to snuff, the instructor should be working with you to get you where you need to be, and any remedial work should have already been factored into the quoted price for the DM course

Exactly. There are some other points the mentioned that I won't mention here that sounds like I won't be getting the quality of education I am hoping for, although it will get me the c-card fast (but at a premium price). That's not my goal.

Not sure what your travel/time restrictions are, but around here you can do the DM for a fairly low price. I dove with these guys last year 5 times - went thru rescue with them - and they have an entire DM program. None of that is necessary. What you can be assured of is that you'll get top notch training. Logistics are a bit of a pain to get there though. Diving is quite good if not superb.

This has got me to thinking. When I asked a local instructor about DM he told me I needed 5 specialty certifications before I started. I'll ask again and make sure he isn't confused with Master Diver...

This has got me to thinking. When I asked a local instructor about DM he told me I needed 5 specialty certifications before I started. I'll ask again and make sure he isn't confused with Master Diver...

I'm interested to hear his response.
RichH

As would I. Let me guess...He'd be oh so happy to teach you these five specialties, huh?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom