PADI DM requirement and PADI standards

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yea I'll have to ask him about that. I know he's not trying to ream me. He's a personal friend of mine, and I'm the one that talked him into getting his OW in the first place! I think he just had his head up his butt when we were talking about it at a BBQ (beer consumption may have been happening).

In agreement with all of the others here. You already exceed entry requirements - many DMT's start with way, way less than 120 dives. Also from your description you seem comfortable in the water and happy with your skills set so far. Therefore, although taking both of those specs would negate the need to do the S&R and Deep scenarios in the DM course, it is absolutely not required, or necessary.

As a dive centre ourselves, we do not require these. We do offer out DMTs a specialty package whereby they can jump on any spec courses that come up (at a significantly discounted rate) but its not mandatory or something we push on people if they don't want it. If the DM trainers are doing their jobs properly the workshops and scenarios taught & evaluated throughout the DM programme should give more than enough practice and feedback in these environments. So all in all I'd say its just a ploy to get more cash out of you - not a great intro to your dive professional training :(

Hope it gets better from here on in & good luck with the DM program. Fun times ahead :)

Thank you.

I have a nice list of dive schools in Asia I can go with to go all the way to MSDT. For the moment, I am not jumping in full time. That being said, I only get 2 weeks of paid time off at work. So most programs are not possible and with that I mean locations outside of Tokyo. Around Tokyo, I can do it during weekends although it will take me more time since it is part-time. Best option so far.

And there is no confusion about dive master versus master diver here as I have no specialties. For our diving club, it's all included in basic training and we train beyond "normal" standards.

Deep and SandR Specialties are not prerequisites to DM Certification. If you have these 2 Specialties, you can skip the related workshops (Skill 4 and 5) during the DM Course. These workshop do not have any minimum number of dives required, but specific requirements. Instructors has the freedom to adjust to the candidate level. Local shops tends to add these 2 specialities in the DM Course to sell 2 more specialties. PADI Japan prefers this solution.

Skill 4 — Search and Recovery Scenario
Set up various search and recovery scenarios that allow
divemaster candidates to complete the following:
• Demonstrate a methodical search of an area to find a
small submerged object.
• Demonstrate a methodical search of an area to find
a submerged object not more than 10 kilograms/25
pounds negatively buoyant.
• Tie the following knots correctly underwater: the
bowline, two half-hitches and a sheet bend.
• Demonstrate how to safely rig and bring to the surface
an object not more than 10 kilograms/25 pounds
negatively buoyant using an appropriate lifting device.

Skill 5 — Deep Dive Scenario
Conduct a deep dive in which divemaster candidates
complete the following:
• Before the dive, prepare emergency breathing
equipment, and position it at the safety stop depth.
• Descend using a reference line, wall or sloping bottom
as a visual guide only, while staying with a buddy and
controlling the descent rate.
• Navigate with a compass at least 20 kick cycles away
from and back to the reference line or designated spot.
• Use a depth gauge and timing device, or a dive
computer to monitor an ascent rate no faster than 18
metres/60 feet per minute while using a reference line,
wall or sloping bottom as a visual guide only.
• Perform a 3-minute safety stop at 5 metres/15 feet
before surfacing without holding on to a reference line
for positioning.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom