PADI Enriched Air Knowledge Reviews

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No worries then, as you are free to believe and espouse your view as well, however, I happen to be aware of all the cost associated with a course as that's what I do. I am very happy you have found an agency that meets your desires and can assure you that PADI will not suffer from your lack of support. PADI does not control what I charge for a course, nor do they recommend a fee for a course. They sell me materials and certification cards, I decide what to charge for the class. P.S. might want to brush up on the definition of a monopoly. Have a nice day.

P.S. you may want to brush up on the term "monopolistic" which is the term I used.

Monopolistic competition - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hey Don:

Not PADI branded, but these two might be helpful. Part I and Part II. These will tell you pretty much everything you need to know about Nitrox at the recreational level. I don't know if you need the knowledge reviews to turn in to your instructor, but if you simply need something to reinforce your knowledge then the two links posted will make you an "expert", well good enough to use the gas at least.

Good luck with your class.

Kind regards,
Thomas

I don't really want to have multiple copies of the same book in the same household....I wound up throwing out extra copies of the OW book and AOW book. It doesn't make sense to have two copies of the same book. If my husband has a book that I want to read, I borrow the book -- I don't go out and buy another copy of it.

Wow I must say this thread has a little heat in it. I personally dont agree with not being able to make copies and use them for the KR but I would have to say you come to the LDS and ask them to teach you it would only be fair to respect the way they choose to teach.

Wow I must say this thread has a little heat in it. I personally dont agree with not being able to make copies and use them for the KR but I would have to say you come to the LDS and ask them to teach you it would only be fair to respect the way they choose to teach.

Understand....it's simply a legal issue....original documents are preferred over photo copies. Not saying the copies wouldn't be accepted, just that the originals are "preferred" in the student folder.

Sorry, it appears this thread is over a year old. I would add two comments to the discussion:

1) If you were given a book by a PADI instructor or PADI facility and the key Knowledge Reviews (KR) are missing, the instructor or facility may be in violation of PADI

Sorry, it appears this thread is over a year old but I would add two comments and an editorial:

1) Your book should have come to you from a PADI Instructor or Facility. If they did and were missing the critical Knowledge Review (KR) sections your Instructor or Facility may be in violation of PADI Training Standards. You should receive your own book, to keep, and it should be complete.

2) PADI Standards don't require ripping the KR pages out to be retained for your records. I regard the KR portions as vital review information and believe they should stay in the book. I think if PADI intended for them to be "ripped out" it would have provided perforated pages as they used to do. What current training standards say is for the Instructor to review these and assure you have answered them correctly. They should review any that were incorrect and "check" the appropriate boxes on Instructor tracking documents that you did do your KR section.

The cost of PADI training materials is pretty reasonable I think. The cost of shipping them to some parts of the world can be VERY EXPENSIVE. Way MORE than the cost of the actual materials. If there is competition in an area it would be very attractive to re-use materials. I'm not going to pass judgment on an instructor or facility trying to make a living because reusing a book doesn't necessarily mean you aren't getting good training. But if they will ignore some standards there may be others they ignore too. Most resort locations have to make a profit on training where large retail facilities can make up class costs with equipment sales. Modern travelers don't like to buy equipment and have to fly it home, they prefer their resort to provide gear and they buy it back home. With the economy the way it is, outrageous shipping costs can really hurt a shop since their actual cost is the materials AND the shipping. Certainly they are free to charge what they want for a class but it only takes one to reuse materials to force others to compete on price and start to reuse materials and books too.

The thread may be dead but the complains still come up.
"The cost of PADI training materials is pretty reasonable I think. "
The book is about $60 US in 2018. And I can tell you, it doesn't cost anything more than $5, maybe 10, to print and another buck apiece to ship them out.
The bottom line is that PADI are greedy. Other agencies charge well less, and don't require pages to be torn out from the book--so they can be resold on the used market. When your instructor is done, he hands out exam pages (ten cents each?) and that problem is solved.
PADI are greedy, the mandatory book is not included in the price of the course because most shops have the option of bundling or discounting the course--and this way they zing you for the up-sell, after you are committed and brought in by the "course" price. PADI just wants an extra $60 a head, above and beyond what the shop can charge for the course.
Greedy, and stupid, since Nitrox is a big safety factor, and they might be negligent in NOT teaching the proper use of safety equipment, which includes "safety gas" to ALL divers, right from the start. I'd argue that they are teaching unsafe diving practices, by teaching divers to dive with an unsafe mixed gas, air.

The thread may be dead but the complains still come up.
"The cost of PADI training materials is pretty reasonable I think. "
The book is about $60 US in 2018. And I can tell you, it doesn't cost anything more than $5, maybe 10, to print and another buck apiece to ship them out.
The bottom line is that PADI are greedy. Other agencies charge well less, and don't require pages to be torn out from the book--so they can be resold on the used market. When your instructor is done, he hands out exam pages (ten cents each?) and that problem is solved.
PADI are greedy, the mandatory book is not included in the price of the course because most shops have the option of bundling or discounting the course--and this way they zing you for the up-sell, after you are committed and brought in by the "course" price. PADI just wants an extra $60 a head, above and beyond what the shop can charge for the course.
Greedy, and stupid, since Nitrox is a big safety factor, and they might be negligent in NOT teaching the proper use of safety equipment, which includes "safety gas" to ALL divers, right from the start. I'd argue that they are teaching unsafe diving practices, by teaching divers to dive with an unsafe mixed gas, air.

PADI does pride itself when it comes to their materials, but they are a business and creating and maintaining these materials takes $$$. As with any business you do have choice to patronize them or not (well except with utilities). I did notice a glaring flaw in your post I'll correct, as for the rest...whoa...
PADI no longer requires or wants instructors to rip out Knowledge Reviews, I can't attest to when the change happened, but I know it was over 5 years ago.

Back
Top Bottom