PADI IE (Right wing instructor thoughts!)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

-The problem with 100% independant teaching of scuba courses, is, like I said, those PADI 3 days crash courses on Curacao, Thailand, etc. I've seen the products of these courses, BAD divers!

-The module system, in itself, is good, BUT, it somewhat incourage stupidity/lack of responsibility on behalf of the instructor, as he can hide behind it.

-About adding exercises to the course: Please check in your standards, what happens if an accident ocures while you make your students do an exercise that is not in the coriculum. You are not covered by insurance, while in other agencys you are. Do you really want to pay it all from your own pocket!?

Just a few points...

Hello everyone,

Thanks for your points Walter, I agree. By the Seal comment, I was just using that to illustrate a point. I agree 100% with hphobbie on the fact that there is such a thing as overteaching in open water classes. There is no need for an open water student to have to sit through a three hour lecture on diving physics or physiology.

I will give you a good example of the excellent PADI marketing and support they give their members. Several years ago I was talking to the owner of the dive shop where I received my open water instruction and I asked him why he chose PADI when he opened the shop. He said that he called PADI and another agency (to remain nameless)when he made the decision to open a store and explained what he had planned and asked how to become a store affiliated with that agency. First of all, he never made it past a secretary at the "other" agency, and then a month later received a store application in the mail. At PADI, he was immediately referred to someone in their back office who asked him a variety of questions of his plans and also gave a few insights and pointers. The next DAY, a Fed-Ex package arrived from PADI that was about two inches thick. It contained an application, standards for being a PADI shop, contact addresses and numbers for equipment manufacturers, complete demographics breakdowns and analysis for the area, etc, etc, etc. There was no question who he was going to choose.

I am not a big fan of the three day scuba courses either Liquid, although I have tought them before. But on the same note, I have seen some damm good divers come out of them. It all goes back to the instructor, a good one is going to recognize the ones that are struggling. If I have someone who is having trouble in a short course, I simply tell them that I think that they would have more fun and do better in my weeknight class (2 nights a week, four weeks). I have never had anyone argue. Most are actually happy about it because they are usually the ones who are scared stiff, and welcome the additional instruction. I believe you are misinformed on adding exercises to the course. There are no specific required "exercises" listed in the PADI instructor manual. It only sets forth the required skills. It does not specifically tell the instructor how they HAVE to reinforce them. I feel as a PADI instructor that I have allot of latitude in how I teach my class. As far as being denied insurance coverage, I have never heard of PADI denying anyone for any course activity that even Ray Charles could see was a bad idea.

Chris

Hello Butch,

It is true that you do not have to work through a shop to certify students with PADI, although I would recommend partnering with a shop when you are just starting out. I say this for several reasons. The biggest is the cost. You have to outlay a lot of cash for the gear in the beginning for all of the things you need. Not just the gear, but also the teaching aids. Also, maintenance on your own gear is pretty brutal if you are running many classes. There is always a regulator, B.C., tank valve, e.t.c. that needs to be looked at. I was lucky enough to have worked in a shop through college, so I was able to get factory training on servicing the gear that I now own, as well as other important certifications such as cylinder inspection. Another reason for partnering with a shop in the beginning is the knowledge. As a new instructor, you need to be able to ask a lot of questions of other instructors. I still call PADI and ask questions anytime I am unsure about an issue. (and I encourage everyone to do so, they are very receptive)

CMay..............Your points are well taken and makes sense. This all leaves me in a quandry now. If I was and if I do pursue my instructors ticket which organization do I use?? PADI which appears to be widely known and recognized, yet somewhat frowned upon (IMHO) on this board or another recognized organization eg NAUI. I suppose that it makes sense to certify with the local dive shop affiliation thereby giving you somewhere to teach from.

Butch :confused:

I would'nt necessarily just go with the local dive shop. I would do your homework first. Each agency has good and bad points. I would be happy to answer any questions you might have.

CMay .....Thanks for the offer. Here is the brief situation. I live in a small town no LDS. The LDS I use is in the city where one of my businesses is located. 55 minutes from home NAUI associated. The other is located in another city approx 50 minutes from home PADI. I have my training thru PADI and I like their system. I am not familiar with NAUI. I would assume, although I have not checked, that NAUI has a website with their requirements listed ?. Butch

http://www.naui.org is the website. You probably have the PADI website already. Not only agency is a consideration but the LDS also is important to checkout. I've noticed that there are PADI shops I like and those I don't like. It has to do with the shop owners philosphy and employee attitudes. I frequent a NAUI shop and I'm going through NAUI training mainly because I like the shop owner. Of the 2 shops you mention which do you like best? and why do like that one best? Which one would support your efforts as an independent instructor? These are questions you need to answer for yourself. I'm actually in the same situation you are in. One shop is 50 miles away and the other is 63 miles. Decisions, decisions.

I am both a NAUI and a PADI instructor, so I'd thought I'd weigh in with some opinions. Again these are OPINIONS and I'm venting a bit, too.

Opinion #1: PADI has, IMO, a weak program in their new IDC/IE. I've recently had the opportunity to borrow the new Course Directors' Manual. As Walter says, it's way too much marketing and too little practical learning. You're even required to push gear ownership in class lessons now!

Opinion #2:While you will not find all the NAUI requirements for instructors to be well defined in writing (that's for Walter :^), there is a TRADITION, IMO, of superior training and encouragement of candidates to learn outside of the ITC. I think PADI could use more of that attitude. There's so much more to diving and dive instruction than can be learned in any agency's instructor course.

Opinion #3: The PADI "system" is very good. Unfortunately it is the ONLY thing you will learn in a PADI IDC. When the "system" is unavailable, what will the PADI instructor do? In most cases, nothing, because PADI requires the use of the system (text, primarily) if it's available in the students language. PADI will not train you to really teach, but only to use the system. Fellow PADI instructors, if I asked you to teach an entire classroom course using only a whiteboard and markers, could you do it?

Opinion #4: The PADI system is excellent. The new NAUI materials are excellent, too. The PADI IDC is weak, IMO. The NAUI ITC, as far as I can tell is still good. What I would suggest for Butch, is to become a NAUI instructor, and then cross over to PADI. That's what I did. The best of both worlds, all the bases covered. Cost you a little more $$$, but you'll be able to do a lot of things with both cards.

Again, my opinions only.
Neil

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom