PADI Instructors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you have your backup reg bungeed around your neck putting a mask there as well is not so comfortable. Putting it on your head seems the obvious place (I never wear it facing forwards though,guess I learnt something in my Open Water course ! )

The mask on neck definately snags or causes discomfort with a bungeed reg. Its one reason i dislike doing it. Its also more fiddly to replace the mask (especially with hood), needing 2 hands and often straining the strap to refit. Even in rough seas ive never seen anyone get a mask knocked off the forehead if its tight enough - if the seas are THAT rough you want your mask on anyway.
Ive seen several cases of outright panic and distress. Usually its reg out immediately and the mask pushed hard OFF the head or at the very least knocked about 45 degrees to where it should be. In addition to that are the far more common panic signs like thrashing about,shouting and so on - all far better indicators.

Fortunately we dont have to teach the odd "mask on head is distress" system and im quite free to calmly wear my mask on my forehead for comfort when conditions dictate :)

WVDiver:
I have a very basic question mostly directed toward PADI Instructors but I am interested in other agenicies' instructor comments also.

I did my open water cert. with IDEA and my advanced cert. with PADI. In my open water course I was instructed, correctly I think, to never wear my mask on my head. The obvious reasons, it is seen by many people to be a distress signal and, I think more importantly, if a wave knocks it off it's gone and you are out of luck. I think this is/was taught by all the agencies.

Naturally this was really not discussed much in the PADI advanced course as you should already know this protocol by the time you take the advanced course.

I have always practiced this and don't even think about pulling my mask down around my neck. Over the years I have seen a few people wearing their masks on their forehead but not a lot. So few in fact that I probably never conciuosly noticed it most of the time.

Now here's the kicker. I was recently at a local dive spot that many people visit regularly but that I myself had never been to. While I was there I saw probably 25 divers wearing their masks on their heads and turned around backwards. It was very noticable and I thought it looked so strange that I just had to ask.

What in the world is going on here? Did I miss the memo or something, why does everyone go around with their masks not only on their head but turned around backwards?

A PADI instructor happened to be there with a group doing their open water check out dives. He told me that it was common place, a recent change in the PADI protocol, and that he taught this in all his courses. He must have taught everyone there at one time or another that's for sure. He went on to explain that a person in distress would not take the time to turn their masks around backwards so it is not seen as a distress signal.

When I mentioned to him about the increased possibility of losing the mask when worn on the head he chuckled and said that happen to a fellow he had sold a $75.00 mask to not long after it was purchased and he never recovered it.

:06: So the question is. Is this a local phenomenon, has PADI recently started to teach this habit or was this PADI instructor some kind of nut?

These were very intelligent people doctors and engineers and the like and they all just thought nothing of it. I wish I had pictures of these folks I could post it really looks alien to see everyone entering and exiting with their masks on backwards. I don't know if I could ever get used to it but it sure didn't seem to be noticed by anyone else there.

They probably thought I looked like some kind of freak with my mask down around my neck. :11: I'm sure I was noticed by someone, I probably stuck out like a sore thumb. :33:

It's a new technique for honing one's situational awareness skills ... for those who wish they had eyes in the back of their head ... :wink:

(Just kidding ... it's a common thing that's not unique to PADI and is taught by many instructors) ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

For whatever reason, it has been common in courses of all agencies to discourage folks from wearing the mask on the forehead. And, from back in the seventies, the cavers and caver wannabes have turned the mask backward on the head. When you see them do this you just stand back and chant the cajun "Coo Ya Ya!" I think that they think they are cool.

The most despicable example though is the Offcial PADI magazine Sport Diver where the editor of all folks Ty Sawyer, stands there on the editorial page with his mask high on his forehead. I don't think he ever stopped to think how doofus it makes him look and how much credability it robs from him.

But anyway - everyone has their own opinion and the only correct way to wear your mask is how comfortable it is to the person wearing it.

I too have a bungeed back-up reg on my neck. There's just not enough space for the mask there too. Mask goes on backwards on my forehead.
I have a neoprene strap, so I can actually put my mask on with one hand fairly easily too. I don't like wearing it on the surface because it fogs up a bit which is annoying. I also prefer the feeling with the mask off my face (otherwise I would wear my mask 24/7 :p )

In my PADI instructor course we were taught that we were just mules for whatever shop we might be blessed enough to work for and that we should teach them the best proceedures for losing equipment so I teach my students to put their masks on the side of their head, hold their snorkels and make sure they know that "tight cambands are for wussies"

:banghead:

Hello mate.

I am a PADI Instructor (MSDT #471412) and you are right, it is generally accepted as a sign of distress, as if a person is having problems, the first thing they want to do is get that thing off their face. Wearing it backwards is DEFINITELY not a PADI standard, but many people do it because they reckon it looks cool, and makes them look like a "tekkie". Personally, when I am teaching, I "fine" my students with sweets, to try and get them out of the habit. Having your favorite mask slip off your forehead when it gets slapped by a wave is definitely not cool, but definitely expensive.

It's annoying around your neck, but unless your melon falls off, you're never going to lose it!

Regards

String:
I still cant see how mask on head signals distress. No mask at all yes, mask thrown from head or ripped off yes but placed on forehead no. Could be any reason but probably not distress.
Ive certainly never seen a distressed diver make their first move to put the mask nicely on their head

I see it all the time. They may not necessarily be putting in nicely on their head, but that's what they are attempting to do. If you want to see a good example, start teaching intro dives off a boat to people who've never dove before...Anything goes slighty awry, bang, the mask is on the forehead. Same thing goes on with lots of uncomfortable divers.

A mask on the forehead doesn't necessarily mean distress, but most distressed divers will be moving their mask to their foreheads (or completely off, as you mentioned). It's a pretty good indicator that trouble could be brewing.

I've yet to put a mask on my forehead, it stays on my face or around my neck.
But it doesn't really bother me where someone puts their mask to be honest. However, if a student is coming through the ranks of PADI and enters the rescue course, they will be presented with the theory of mask on forehead=distress. If a student has been shown different throughout his previous training, this brings upthe question "So where am i supposed to put it? on my head or what?!"

I therefore teach that masks on the forehead are a no no.

my 2c

I'm with you Matt. I've always thought all this hullabullu about the mask-on-the-forehead to be a bit anal. If one is concerned about the emotional state of a diver wearing their mask on their forehead on surface, a simple "o.k." signal to them will tell you if there is indeed a problem. Personally, I like to wear my mask up there when on surface, for all the reasons you've mentioned; further, I'm a big boy now - I'll rig myself as I please & take full responsibility for my decisions. I believe that new divers must be informed of all the pros n' cons of various mask placements when it is not in use, but as adults, they have the right to wear it as they please.

D.S.D.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom