PADI "Looking Good" Certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In most cases, it is not required that you get the certification card. If it is not included in the class and costs extra, why get it?

Then who funds PADI? Not trying to be argumentative--just would be interested in knowing where they get their money.

PADI is basically a publishing company. They make their money by selling books. In the case of a distinctive specialty they take an administration fee when the instructor submits the certification so the student can have a card.

R..

My first thought when I saw the title was "How to dive in flat trim".
I thought so too, when I read the thread title. The actual class sounds like it would be much more fun to watch.

As some people have already noted, almost all the cost of instruction goes to the local shop and the instructor doing the work. Although you didn't say it yourself, this is about the same time that some also curses out local shops and instructors for expecting to be paid for the work they do. The nerve--expecting me to pay for the services they provide! Those money grubbers are always looking for a way to take a buck out of your pocket! I hear some of them expect to make minimum wage--the dirty bastards!

John,
You are correct. I did not say, think, or infer anything derogatory about dive shops or instructors. Dive shops are not given credit for the services they provide and instructors certainly not overpaid. My comment was aimed at the apparent explosion of new specialty courses. But I also have no problem with additional training programs if divers want to pay for them, and would never expect dive shops or instructors to provide training without adequate compensation.

Last edited:
This one, maybe?

Welcome
Wow. That's not it but I am going to take it. Did you see the Q&A?

Q: Is this a real SCUBA Course?
A: Yes! This is a legitimate specialty dive course. Upon
completion of the course you will receive a real certification
card.

and

Q: I'm a SCUBA instructor, can I teach this course?
A: Yes you can. We have begun very limited licensing to
other instructors only. Email us for more information.

Are y'all sure this is not a GUE specialty course?

N

Someone, somewhere is doing a roaring trade in selling the "Looking like a bag of hammers tied in the middle with string underwater." course.

Is'nt How To Warm Up A Wetsuit a prerequisite for that class.
Guess I could take the course since I warm up my wetsuit on every dive. A little baby shampoo during rinse-off solves that though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom