PADI made me giggle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I guess everyone has their reasons for wanting to do something or not wanting to do something. I agree that there are many poor DM's and Instructors out there, but you'll have to admit that there are some very good ones as well.

Having recently become a PADI DM (Nov. of last year) I realize that I'm speaking from a somewhat biased position, but at the same time, I've always enjoyed "teaching", having been a corporate trainer. I've already faced a great deal of pressure to become an Instructor (no, not from my LDS, but from some of the people I know). I'm not ready to do that just yet, but I can see the possibility on the horizon. We could also have the discussion about whether it's more important that an Instructor be a good teacher or a good diver.

Let's think about this for a moment.....if nobody became a DM or Instructor, how would any of us have become divers? Would we have all simply read the book and hit the beach? I shudder to think what might happen if that becomes the path to "certification."

I guess I've rambled on long enough, but let's at least admit that regardless of the "romantic" approach to the PADI marketing, some of us went for it, and we weren't necessarily wrong for doing so.

Now, let me jump down off this soap box and have a beer!

DSAO and CIAO!

I laughed when I got my OW card. It was slotted into the standard PADI promo sheet, right next to the headline 'Now is the time to become a PADI Pro!' I figured I'd go out and do some diving first.

Zept

You're right, Hoover.

No one ever mentions the marketing strategy of NAUI, SSI, YMCA and the others so it's hard to compare but suffice it to say PADI is known to be the worst. Luckily, when asked, most DMs and Instructors I know tell the honest truth about the 'glamorous' side of being a diving 'pro'. I can think of several such conversations Beast and I had with you on this subject!

The rewards I get from it can't be measured in $$...thankfully!

Some people think that the goal of taking further training is simply to obtain multiple pieces of plastic. They do the bare minimum to pass the class and end up with no useful skills afterward. Getting a "Black Card" or whatever nonsense they are promoting becomes more imortant than actually being a competent diver. Diving is a business and they do need to sell courses, but it should not be at the expense of safety. People expect to be some sort of expert just because they do a quick DM class, that's not going to happen. It seems as though anyone can sign up for anything. I have a bunch of plastic too and in retrospect, it was a waste of time. The only purpose it served was furfilling requirments I needed to teach on my own. I don't even recommend the typical courses after OWI because the student can typically learn a lot more working with an experienced buddy.

As for DMs and Instructors burning out, I'm not suprised. Teaching is fun most of the time, but other times, it's not so great. Their are a lot of inherent problems that are hard to escape. Instructors don't get paid very much at all and usually have to work with a shop that is more interested in the all mightly dollar vs. quality training. Time is money and dive shops want a quick turn around. Something has to give and training suffers. Then the shop will fill your students head with nonsense, anything to sell gear. A lot of times it's really a moral dilema for the Instructor...keep teaching while the shop screws people over, or quit something you still enjoy despite all the faults. You have to try and make up for all problems caused by the shop or other Instructors, it's a pain.

Teaching some students can be a great affair; they are interested, they practice hard, study and really try. Those type of people are really great to work with. The other group could care less; they don't practice, don't study, are lazy and will most likely never develop the skills necessary to dive. That is a terrible situation, almost enough to make you quit.

I don't recommend anyone to become a DM or Instructor unless you REALLY enjoy working with ALL people and are extrememly patient. You have to be willing to accept all the moral problems caused by working with a shop...unless you are lucky enough to own your own shop or teach independantly. It is often fun, but you have to weigh that against all the negatives. Sometimes it is just not worth the effort. If you think that becoming an Instructor will make you a better diver, it will not...save your money. People really need to consider the realistic aspects of teaching before they start collecting plastic. People seem to have grand delusions about what working with students will be like...in ideal situations it can be a blast...other times miserable.

If I had it my way, I would just start my own shop and do it right. That is not realistic for the majority of people so, you have to compromise somewhere.

Quoting Electriczombie: "I don't recommend anyone to become a DM or Instructor unless you REALLY enjoy working with ALL people and are extrememly patient. "

That is really the issue. The agencies that I have my cards thru have not marketted like PADI, but there are instructor trainers who can be a little presonally profit-motivated. They charge to train a candidate, & while they have you in training, they get free labor with a lacky to run errands & do other annoying little chores. Sometimes I see a person who should not be in leadership being approached by one of these trainers on an individual basis offering mentorship for a fee.

During my Assistant Instructor training, I was exposed to a lot of different types of students: at-risk youth, weathy luxury health club members, middle-class families, immigrants, and even people under treatment for minor mental disorders. Talk about needing to be flexible! There are all kinds of needs & expectations that students present. YOu really have to learn your limitations and pay attention to what age & culture-related behaviors could signal trouble.

When I see someone who is not a people person seeking leadership training, it is always my hope that they just want the cool card & jacket for status reasons. Diving skills are only one slice of the pie that makes up a passable instructor. If an agency just wants to sell more classes, I wish they would make some up that would not threaten the safety of future students.

art.chick once bubbled...
When I see someone who is not a people person seeking leadership training, it is always my hope that they just want the cool card & jacket for status reasons. Diving skills are only one slice of the pie that makes up a passable instructor. If an agency just wants to sell more classes, I wish they would make some up that would not threaten the safety of future students.

You make some good points also, art.chick. Like I was just telling someone in a PM, I also suspect that a lot of students become DM's not just for "the card" and other status reasons, but also for the free fills and discounted gear. While extremely attractive to an enthusiastic diver, those reasons don't contribute directly to helping new divers IMHO, which should be a focus of DM and instructor candidates.

edited last sentence

Dee once bubbled...
[BThat Highly Esteemed Black Card never earned me a crying dime!

[/B]

Actually, I got to dive free 5 or 6 days a week, plus got paid around $100/month. Also Keyman prices on all my gear. Mine paid for itself.

Also, a black card is very pretty :mean:

MD

GearHead once bubbled...

You make some good points also, art.chick. Like I was just telling someone in a PM, I also suspect that a lot of students become DM's not just for "the card" and other status reasons, but also for the free fills and discounted gear. None of those are good reasons IMHO.

Any card is only as good as the bearer makes it, and seldom is advanced training non-beneficial. If someone does it for free air fills, then they have a good reason. If they do it for no reason, they still have a good reason. Whether or not they are allowed, or qualified, to assist students is up to those running the class. I see no reason not to take a class "just because".

MD

GearHead once bubbled...

You make some good points also, art.chick. Like I was just telling someone in a PM, I also suspect that a lot of students become DM's not just for "the card" and other status reasons, but also for the free fills and discounted gear. While extremely attractive to an enthusiastic diver, those reasons don't contribute directly to helping new divers IMHO, which should be a focus of DM and instructor candidates.

edited last sentence

Some are just after the bragging rights or the discounts. However, I only extend DM perks to a working DM. One who is working for me that is. Being a DM is alot of work for a little free air.

Mech, I agree that virtually all advanced training is beneficial. But the first part of your sentence doesn't make sense to me.
MechDiver once bubbled...
Any card is only as good as the bearer makes it, and seldom is advanced training non-beneficial.

Shouldn't a card represent that the holder meets the standards set by the agency issuing the card? If not, what's the point of issuing it?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom