PADI Master Diver Rating

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have to wonder if you know a sufficient number of elite divers to make that judgment with any creditability.:D

Yeah, I mean I'm a jerk and a college educated elitist, and Thal is too, but to whom else are you referring? Walter is also an elitest, but besides us who are all these other jerks? Do you have their contact information? Jerks love other jerks, and being an elitist diver is always more fun with more people. I could really be a jerk if I had more jerk friends.

By the way, your PADI MSD card still honks on bobo. I love how people complain:

"But I did some specialties and rescue! Why isn't my MSD card anything special?"

Because buying a card does not imply a level of commitment. Your specialties, rescue class, and efforts do. The NAUI course is different, because of that very reason. Just do us all a favor and admit that it isn't a quality course. Actually, just do us all a favor and admit that it isn't a course at all. If your divemaster or instructor card was obtained this way, would you feel the same?

I have to wonder if you know a sufficient number of elite divers to make that judgment with any creditability.:D

Come off it and deal with the questions that are on the table rather than making personal attacks on those who disagree with you, your "elitist" dog doesn't hunt.
I said elitist, not elite. And of the former, I know plenty in real life and on these forums. But this is always how a thread you are in ends up. Good job.

Actually this is the usual demise of threads that you enter and start flinging "elitist" poo. It has happened time and time again, this thread is perhaps the clearest ever example of your tactic of attempting to destroy a thread that you disagree with by attacking people rather than engaging ideas. Nice try, but no cigar.

Actually this is the usual demise of threads that you enter and start flinging "elitist" poo. It has happened time and time again, this thread is perhaps the clearest ever example of your tactic of attempting to destroy a thread that you disagree with by attacking people rather than engaging ideas. Nice try, but no cigar.

I think because the logic in taking the PADI MSD card versus the NAUI MSD course just isn't very valid or reliable when typed or spoken out loud. I have yet to hear one good reason (other than just not knowing any better) why someone would prefer the former to the latter.

It is perhaps the clearest example of PADI's depauperization of the content of a course. Their basic theory is that the public is stupid enough to ignore course content and to buy on just the course title alone.

Thal,

Depauperation? Perhaps true in general terms but not applicable to individual training activities. Individuals are responsible for the quality of their own training circumstances and must make the most of them. I would imagine there are good and bad options available within any training organization.

Good diving, Craig

Thal,

Depauperation? Perhaps true in general terms but not applicable to individual training activities. Individuals are responsible for the quality of their own training circumstances and must make the most of them. I would imagine there are good and bad options available within any training organization.

Good diving, Craig

I agree that individual training experiences can vary depending on the Instructor, DMs, and options that the Instructor has with regard to training. I suppose my concern would be that it should be the agencies responsibility to establish policies and procedures that are appropriate for the level of training that is offered. While individuals are responsibility for their own training to a degree, the agency should be responsible for the quality of the training that is provided. They should establish and enforce the highest standards possible for the level of certification that they are offering. They should evaluate the quality of the divers and leadership personnel that are being produced under their name and actively seek to make them better. Failure to do so brings into question the true mission and intent of the agency. If appropriate standards are created and enforced, then the variation in the divers that are produced should be minimized. Part of what this thread is suggesting (IMO) is that the agencies (not any particular one) are not doing so to the satisfaction of those who challenge them. I would include myself among that group. Instead of this being an agency vs agency issue (which I believe it is not), I believe that this is an issue of substance and quality such that ALL agencies are producing quality divers. I believe that responsibilty falls to the diving leadership to provide feedback and report the successfulness (or lack there of) of currently running programs; and the agency themselves to review and reassess the quality of the product they are making available to the diving community. If the standards are insufficient, then these two groups should collectively petition for a change. Until then, the end product will continue to be in question by those who strive for a higher set of standards.

By the way, your PADI MSD card still honks on bobo.

I didn't follow the majority of your post, perhaps it's only me, but what in the hell does this mean? I must really be out of it not to understand, I'd really appreciate a translation.

Good diving, Craig

Yeah, I mean I'm a jerk and a college educated elitist, and Thal is too, but to whom else are you referring? Walter is also an elitest, but besides us who are all these other jerks? Do you have their contact information? Jerks love other jerks, and being an elitist diver is always more fun with more people. I could really be a jerk if I had more jerk friends.

By the way, your PADI MSD card still honks on bobo. I love how people complain:

"But I did some specialties and rescue! Why isn't my MSD card anything special?"

Because buying a card does not imply a level of commitment. Your specialties, rescue class, and efforts do. The NAUI course is different, because of that very reason. Just do us all a favor and admit that it isn't a quality course. Actually, just do us all a favor and admit that it isn't a course at all. If your divemaster or instructor card was obtained this way, would you feel the same?

I didn't follow the majority of your post, perhaps it's only me, but what in the hell does this mean? I must really be out of it not to understand, I'd really appreciate a translation.

Good diving, Craig

Translation:

Yes, I am someone who believes that quality in education has meaning and that while ignoramuses can be cured, stupid is (unfortunately) a life long condition. I am quite sure that my colleague Thal would agree, as I would expect would others who respect quality, like Walter (who also believes in doing good well).

By the way, your PADI MSD card still sucks (that is to say is, at best, of rather indeterminate quality), and furthermore you've made no cogent argument to the contrary. It is intriguing to observe the difficulty that some people have in understanding their plight when the completion of a depauperized rescue class and a few rudimentary specialty programs fails to rocket them into the Pantheon of Diving Gods who sit at the right hand of Poseidon.

The rest seems rather clear.
Thal,

Good diving, Craig
Your missing the point. This is, in my mind, basically a case of fraudulent misrepresentation under the guise of "just good business". Agencies are responsible for the quality of the programs that they run. Programs like "Advanced Diver" had been developed by all the agencies, NAUI, YMCA, NASDS, PADI, LA County, PDIC, etc All these programs were remarkably similar and had developed such a good reputation that they had become the standard credential for activities such as Charter Boat diving. It was a program with real meat on it, typically 40 hours with eight or more dives, coming on top of a 40 hour entry level course and a 20 hour, two open water session rescue class. An Advanced diver really was "advanced." The next thing you know PADI gutted their Advanced program, cutting it in half (the content, but not the price). PADI affiliates started selling this course as their "Advanced Diver Course" when it was only the equal of the NAUI Sport Diver (also know as O/W II). PADI then did the same thing with their Master Diver Course. Is this "good business" or a blatant lie? Chances are it was both, but the term, depauperization" also fits perfectly.

Is it all PADI's fault? No. Instead of agressively pushing back and exposing the fraud for what it was, the other agencies either followed suit or ignored what PADI was doing (NAUI was especially bad at this, then Executive Director Marshall McNott thought that NAUI, as a not-for-profit, needed to be "above" that sort of behavior). They were later caught in a race or thier very survivial to minimize standards, even for their entry level courses. It was about that time that I said, "a plague on all your houses," which is basically how I still feel.

Last edited:

Good diving, Craig

It means that it slurps a certain member of the male anatomy. It was my rather polite way of indicating that I (and numerous others) feel that the PADI MSD card is spurious. Why else would it come with a bag and a certificate to make you feel better?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom