padi/naui??????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i don't know why i remember stupid stuff like that :)

National Association of Underwater Instructors

padi stands for:
Professional Association of Diving Instructors

Thats what I thought, just wasn't 100% sure. BTW I think padi is wrong it should be "put another dollar in"LOL.
(that was intended as a joke not a slam on padi.)

I was certified OW back in 1990. My instructor is well respected and from a well respected diving family in my former area. He was certified NAUI, PADI and ACUC at that time. He taught the course so we could be certified with any of those agencies (Therefore we exceeded PADI's requirements). He suggested that we should get the NAUI certification above the others, with ACUC second and PADI last. I am not sure if he pays less for NAUI & ACUC to certify a diver, but the reason he gave, was that their standards were higher.

I have now done my AOW with ACUC (American Canadian Underwater Certifications)

With that said, I think that it does not matter what certification agency you go with, it matters what the instructor puts in the course, more time, more detailos and more dives before certification is aways better IMHO.

Dale Sanger

I've often viewed the difference betwen NAUI and PADI with the same difference as Chevy and Ford. But I'll also nail one down in personal preference.

When I took my NAUI OW course, I was very satisfied, it was a great expeirence. When I took the NAUI Advanced class, again, satisfied and it was fun. I took the Rescue diver class, again, satisfied and had fun. On to nitrox, again, satisfied, had fun, On to Master Scuba Diver, Once again, Satisfied, had fun, and, GOT WORKED! It was intense! My instructor left no stone unturned. This guy worked us! I got my money's worth for certain. I liked my expeirences with NAUI enough to do the Instructor PREP class. It was intense, It was also fun, and, I was satisfied.

What do I think of NAUI? That's easy, I am in the final few weeks of my ITC for my Instructor cert and it's been a long haul. And still, I've enjoyed it.

When I started diving, I figured I'd do the advanced class, but I remember some words I spoke to many that I NOW EAT. I said I would never be an instructor, I said I'd never dive deeper than 60 feet, I said I'd never dive nitrox, I said I'd never want to go beyond advanced diver. As the years went by, I've digested well each of those statements. NAUI's been good to me, they've made thier classes very accessable to me, and the NAUI instructors I've met throughout this experience thus far, first rate.

I've never needed a reason to look into PADI or anyother agency. I've been out with some PADI Divers, I never had a problem with them as buddies. I don't have anything bad to say about PADI, and if you're enjoying your class, and you feel you're being taught to your satisfaction, you're getting your money's worth. If not, look elsewhere for instruction, write PADI about your concerns with the class you were in, include your Instructor's name and his/her instructor number and these issues will be addressed. As far as an agency change? Do what you want to do. It's your education, but insist on your money's worth all the same.

And.. MOST IMPORTANTLY...
Have fun...

-Dennis

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom