Padi Peak Performance Buoyancy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I took the PPB class and have since discovered that many of the skills taught (proper trim, altering the volume of your breath to control buoyancy, kick and glide, etc.) were skills that I could have learned throygh practice and discussions with other skilled divers. I was a relatively new diver then, and feel that in my case the instruction was worthwhile.

If you are able to get the DVD at a reasonable price, I would say go for it. The real key is then taking the concepts from the dvd and practicing them.

Ultimately, you may find that your money was better spent elsewhere.

Kelsey

If the DVD is dirt cheap, then why not. I don't think I'd spend the $199 or whatever to do it as a specialty course.

If you have not done Advanced Open Water, consider adding it as one of your 5 dives. I did a PPB as one of my Advanced dives and glad I did.

Steve_Dives:
I do have a question to tack on to the thread. How can I feel manly when I go to the toy store to buy hula hoops?

sex toy not withstanding (nor any comments about the 100' club), make your own buoyancy diamonds out of PVC - cheap, effective and gives you something to do when the swells are running from a Mexican hurricane :)

truly we made 4, or I should say I told a club member I needed 4, at 4' sides with the top open - being the technical geek he is thank God he made them and we use them in pool night on a regular basis

set one almost on the bottom; one a few feet from that one about 2 feet off the bottom, etc - they need to swim horizontally from one to the next and hover for a minute in each one - fun and frustrating and alearning involvement

at the last club meeting we discussed why tech divers wear the gear they do, and pool night we had the diamonds AND BP/W - some people were horizontal first time in their lives! well, at least underwater (had to refer to the previous comments)

ppo2_diver:
Save your money and take the course from a very good instructor. It's unfortunate that the class can be taught by assistant instructors who may not know the slightest about proper buoyancy or propulsion. Anybody can teach the book. You want someone who can show you what mastery looks like and give you the tools to start mastering it yourself. No instructor can guarantee that your buoyancy will be perfect at the end of the class. They can only give you the tools. It's up to you to take the time and master them.

I'll echo this sentiment. I did one dive for my AOW, and then I managed to win the other dive to get my card in it, but I certainly wouldn't call myself at peak performance. However, the information is really good, and some of it should be provided to you in OW--like the nice table showing you how to estimate your required weight. Didn't view the DVD, but just read the section.

A great beginning, as is all diving information.

Back
Top Bottom