PADI Regulations & question - where are they??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

going back to a part of the original query, is there a site where non-pro divers can read the PADI rules or is this only in the professional section?

So its really up to the instructor to size me up?

it is up to the ORIGINAL INSTRUCTOR,
why didnt you just finish this 9 yrs ago?

It is interesting that the PADI regs go out of their way to state there is no time limit. Some are saying you must complete your open water within 6 months - others say a year - the regs say no time limit?

Technology wise has that much changed?

Not trying to cut corners here but I did spend 1 semester doing the classroom portion and 1 semester in the pool. That is nothing to sneeze at. I still have the PADI manual as well as the dive table and log.
PADI states that, it is up to the ORIGINAL INSTRUCTOR to determine whether you can meet the requirements and to evaluate whether they are comfortable giving you a PADI card, it is also up to the instructor/ dive shop to determine wheter they want to continue your training or make you start fresh after 6 mos or a year, or whatever their policy is, in other words, the instructor/ dive shop can do whatever they want, there is purposely no regulatiion, but I am willing to guess if it took an entire semester to teach you the PADI classroom, and another semester to teach you the confined water, for your own safety and well being maybe you should just redo it, if you are so confident in your regurgitation abilities it should be no problem

the course has changed dramatically, the wheel is gone, the rdp that replaced it is gone, the erdp that replaced the rpd is now obsolete, and the entire course can be done as computer only, that is 1 example, another is the entire semester you spent in classroom is all online, completely independant of your instructor.

this is usually taught in a weekend,
what answer are you looking for, not one person has said you will be better off to just pick up where you left off, maybe you should accept that the course you took 9 yrs ago is gone and if you would like to go diving you should take an open water course and learn how to properly do something that can very quickly kill you

going back to a part of the original query, is there a site where non-pro divers can read the PADI rules or is this only in the professional section?

as far as i know it is in the padi pro section online, and in the instructors manual, and quarterly updates are in the Undersea Journal, but it is not a big secret, I assure you if you cant find the answer to a standards question on ScubaBoard (prob beaten into the ground) ask your question and we will be happy to give you more information than you ever wanted(beat it into the ground)

the rdp that replaced it is gone, the erdp that replaced the rpd is now obsolete, and

the latest instructor manual, that i have received to prepare myself to my idc does not mentioned any notice that the Erdp replace the rdp.

My edittion is from 2008 received 2 months ago.

I have been communicating over and over with Padi Europe.

so as i have been reading your remark and so i am doubting again :-(

Plus I dont have the cash to take the entire course over again.

THANKS!

If $$$ is the driving factor, you should realize that it would probably cost you about the same to just do the OW dives as it would to just do the whole class.

it is up to the ORIGINAL INSTRUCTOR,
why didnt you just finish this 9 yrs ago?

what answer are you looking for, not one person has said you will be better off to just pick up where you left off, maybe you should accept that the course you took 9 yrs ago is gone and if you would like to go diving you should take an open water course and learn how to properly do something that can very quickly kill you

Because the instructor never tolds us that if you didn't do open water in XX amount of days, your 2 semesters of training would be void.

The answer I am looking for are for whatever the regs require!!! Quit busting my balls. I have found my answer. Their is NO time limit. PADI wrote that for a reason.

Stop passing judgement. Sheez.

Having taken the OW class in college where you get to spend lots of time on stuff is a good thing and it's sure to be easier for you, but doing it 9 years ago I would still retake the class. It's one thing to have a gap with no diving if you've already had some experience diving. But when you haven't ever been in OW yet let alone done any real diving, that's a little different. I can't imagine that you're going to find an instructor, even your original, willing to just jump into OW dives without significant review and demonstration of skills. And that would likely be cheaper in a regular class than private anyway, so it's hard to see you saving any money. (And unless you already have all your gear or a source of free rentals, if saving a few bucks on class is a show stopper you've got other hurdles here.)

Because the instructor never tolds us that if you didn't do open water in XX amount of days, your 2 semesters of training would be void.

The answer I am looking for are for whatever the regs require!!! Quit busting my balls. I have found my answer. Their is NO time limit. PADI wrote that for a reason.

you are right, I apologize, I was hasty and probably should have looked at it from your perspective, before passing judgement....

I am sure when you explain to the instructor the they never told you about a time limit and that PADI wrote this rule and he should not try to screw you out of the OW fees you paid 9 years ago, he will honor his obligation and get you certified in a timely and efficient manner,

If they give you any crap about it you can call 1 800 PAY PADI, and ask for the quality control dept, or email Steve Mortell, Supervisor Training & Quality Mgmt steve.mortell@padi.com and I am sure he will be happy to make everything alright.

BTW_ what college did you take your course at? just curious

there is a time limit on the referral..if ow dives are not completed it lapses and entire course would have to be repeated.IF you can find your original instructor and he is willing to accept the liability on you not redoing entire course you accept the risks. It is on the referral letter and in the training log book that you have 1 year..Not trying to bust b**** but to think that an instructor would take the liability to take you on training dives is wrong.Even for someone completely certified 9 yrs ago,did the 4 dives and none since would have to undergo extensive remediation before I take them in ow.To complete a refresher course along with all the paperwork involved(kr's-quizez-final)and pool work would cost more than taking a standard group class.We recently had a certified Dm that has not dove in many years retake an entire ow course with his daughters and he had issues but got thru everything ok.He was glad that he went that route, and I commend him on it..

Do not read more into it than the standard states. There is no time limit only if you continue training with the original instructor or original shop if they used team teaching.

Any other option to complete only open water training dives would involve a referral. There is a time limit of one year since the last training segment to complete a referral.

Any instructor who would continue with just check out dives at this point is stark raving mad. At an absolute minimum the original instructor would require an academic review and review of all skills in confined water. You would probably need to pay for one-on-one time with the instructor. Financially you would probably come out ahead to just do the whole course over again. rather than pay for the one-on-one review.

Back
Top Bottom