PADI Rescue Diver: First Aid/CPR Equivalents?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

iscuba08

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Can anyone clarify what non-PADI courses would be equivalent (and thus meet the requirements) to the Emergency First Response course for the Rescue Diver Course?

I know the Red Cross offers a number of CPR courses. I was looking at the Red Cross "CPR for the Professional Rescuer" or "Adult CPR and First Aid" courses, but can't determine if either of them would meet the requirement.

Any clarification/assistance is appreciated.

Both are fine. In fact the courses for the professional rescuer are way above what the EFR ( PADI's cpr/aed/first aid course) goes into. And any shop or instructor that would not accept Red Cross or AHA is just trying to screw you out of your money and that goes for any agency.

agreed - any recongised first aid course that includes basic primary (including CPR) and secondary care (i.e life support and well... bandaging) are recognised by PADI. I've had a few odd ones in my time - including a Norwegian guy who got his training from the oil rig on which he worked. One e-mail with a scan of the certificate and one phone call later, no worries. Took less than a working day to confirm.

Enjoy your Rescue Course! :D

C.

Can anyone clarify what non-PADI courses would be equivalent (and thus meet the requirements) to the Emergency First Response course for the Rescue Diver Course?
I know the Red Cross offers a number of CPR courses. I was looking at the Red Cross "CPR for the Professional Rescuer" or "Adult CPR and First Aid" courses, but can't determine if either of them would meet the requirement.
Any clarification/assistance is appreciated.

There is a lot of confusion, because different groups want to claim too much credit for themselves. First Response. . . First Responder? Paramedic?

Anyone spending time around water should take CPR from an American Heart association, or Red Cross certified instructor. Anyone getting very far from home or medical help should take the Red Cross first aid class in one evening. It is a very minimal "what to do" class for minor injuries.

Stepping up from there, many Vo tech schools offer training leading to registration as an Emergency Medical Technician, many people aboard ambulances. This is the starting point for EMT-Paramedic, with advanced life support and advanced equipment.

Some of the EMT training classes can be shortened and certification as a "First Responder" is very useful for some job sites, as well as rural areas. In your area, contact your emergency medical provider for information about real world training, with certified achievement.

I just got an e-mail from my instructor and he says take it from the American Red cross in your area. He is an SSI instructor and says it counts toward the stress & rescue course. I checked with the local chapter of the American Red Cross and they offer the class about once a month for $59 for CPR/first aid. But here is the question. I do CPR all the time, professional in the medical field on the code blue team, so I have a valid CPR card, but not first aid. I would have to take the first aid class to satisfy the requirements for SSI stress & rescue.

When I took PADI rescue, I was a lifeguard and had CPR for the Professional Rescuer. It was readily accepted.

Thanks everyone, I found that my local Red Cross chapter offers CPR and First Aid classes once a month and I can take them both for $55.00. Will be registering later this week.

Thanks for all the quick and helpful responses!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom