PADI Rescue Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rescue is the best class to take. I absolutely loved it. You will be a more aware diver regardless of your skill after taking the class.

In any circumstance, the knowledge gained from a rescue class will be a good thing to have. I've never taken a rescue diver course, but I've taken lots of wilderness first aid and general first responder courses and I assure you, the information is worth the effort of taking the class.

If nothing else you will be exposed to situations (theoretically and perhaps in the dive portion of the class as well) that you most likely will not encounter in real life. As such, you will be more prepared than you would otherwise if you actually do encounter those situations in real life.

Knowledge is always a good thing.

I want both of us to become more competent at everything. Is taking a course a good idea, or would we be better off just diving?
The typical response to this question is that Rescue helps you become a "complete and independent" diver. As I recall from my DM course (PADI), passing the Rescue course finally makes one "a diver."

If the class is well run, you will learn something and it MAY help you become a more confident diver. HOWEVER, it is highly unlikely that taking a Rescue Class will make you a significantly more skilled diver since that is NOT the focus of the course. In fact, the focus of the course is to make you aware of situations that can cause issues/problems so that you can learn how to avoid them in the first place.

So, take the class AND go diving using the skills you have -- and then take some diving lessons now and then from an instructor who has the ability to raise your skill level.

I assist with Rescue Diver courses several times each year. I've never had a student think it wasn't the best course they've taken.

It not only teaches how to respond in an emergency, I've seen it give divers more confidence in their diving and increase their comfort level significantly.

Rescue Diver is an awesome course. A lot of course depends upon the teacher. I wish every diver would take Rescue Diver or Stress and Rescue.

The key is you want to take it at a time when you are comfortable diving.

As a 'victim', specifically a panicked victim, I will try and make you the victim. If you let me, I'm taking your mask, your reg, whatever I can take. I'm going to push you so you know your limits.

To do this, you have to be comfortable diving.

When I did my rescue class it was with a group of us that were going onto DMC. There was one student in particular who talked a big talk. When that student went to assemble their gear it was as if they had never seen the stuff before. The instructor, who was a regular dive buddy of mine, instructed me to swim up to her in a panic, reg out of my mouth, give the OOA signal and if she doesn't give me an air source, take one from her. I did all that, she didn't give me a reg so I took her primary. She panicked and shot to the surface with me in tow. Needless to say, she didn't make it.

The point is, as it turned out she hadn't been in the water in some time and she wasn't comfortable.

Anyway, it is an awesome class. It will help you to be a more confident diver.

Removed by poster...it did a duplicate post!

Last edited:
So, now that we've convinced you to take the Rescue course, the next logical question is: When would it be best to take it?

I feel pretty strongly that you should have very good buoyancy control and an excellent handle on your basic OW skills prior to taking the Rescue class. The reason for this is that, to make good use of your time spent in the Rescue class, you need to have the bandwidth to attend to what's going on around you. It's impossible to be aware of what's going on in your environment if you're still struggling to control your depth, worried about doing an uncontrolled ascent, don't know where your buddy is, or aren't comfortable with the operation of your gear. As a rescuer, you need to have yourself squared away first in order be able to assist with another diver in distress. For most people, I think having approx. 50 lifetime dives is a reasonable experience level to get the most out of the class. Perhaps others will disagree with me on this point.

At our post-OW cert pizza party, our instructor told us that if we ever took another course it should be the Rescue Diver. I remember thinking at the time, "Hey, right now I've got my hands full just keeping me alive, much less someone else." But I've always remembered her words.

And pretty much everything I've ever read on this board has supported that view.

I'll finally be taking RD this summer and can't wait. I did the American Heart Association EFR course a couple of months ago. Loved it. Finally know how to do CPR.

I got the RD crewpack a few months ago and should have the manual pretty well memorized by June. Then the fun, and work, really begins.

In general, I agree with Bubbletrubble's opinion that it would be good to have around fifty dives under your belt. But if your buoyancy control is good, you're in reasonably good shape and competent in your skills, then I say go for it. The worst that could happen is you don't pass, so you'll correct your deficiencies and pass the next time.

I was considering doing Rescue this summer, but that was before I had two trips on my calendar and an intention to get a nitrox card. Reading this thread is making me start to consider it again...

The rescue class should be essential for all divers. Get some experience after O/W then take it. The scenarios alone will teach you more how to respond when there are issues.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom