PADI Rescue in a Drysuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hammy_Dives

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I’ve decided this year that I would like to dive a lot more locally (NJ). I typically dive in warmer waters. Now I’ve signed up to do my Rescue certification with my LDS. Completed my EFR and have to wait until April/May ish. Going to Curaçao in April but I’m committed to supporting the LDS. The instruction goes above and beyond. They really get into the weeds.

Does it make sense to get drysuit certified and taking the Rescue class in a drysuit? I know there will be more task loading e.g, buoyancy etc. Am I overthinking it?

I think I’d rather do that than wear a 7mm. I did that when I got certified in 2001 in Long Island. I don’t recall that being too much fun. Would love to get your thoughts and experience.

It will make things a bit more complicated…you’ll have to vent air from your suit when bringing up your buddy, and they’ll have to ensure they vent your air when retrieving you….at the same time, controlling both of yours ascents, regulator, BCD’s, and what not. Like @Boarderguy said, get Drysuit certified tons of practice before you attempt the rescue course. I did mine wet so can’t really give you any first hand advice.

I'd do the rescue course first in wetsuit. Get the drysuit cert after. I'm in the NE and that's how I got back into local diving after only tropical diving. A 5 mm wetsuit with 3 mm vest underneath goes a long way... Even here.

I really know nothing about drysuits, but if you intend to do a lot of diving in one it makes sense to do the Rescue course in one. I would think you should iron out any of the typical drysuit problems and feel comfortable diving in it before doing Rescue dry.

If you are interested in being a great rescue partner, I think practicing in all exposure combinations is the best way to gain those skills (e.g., you're in a drysuit but your "victim" is in a wetsuit, vice versa, both in the same exposure etc.)

It might not be possible to do everything in the course, in which case I'd also use the drysuit, after taking some time to practice with it ahead of the Rescue cert.

Do the course in the drysuit. JMHO
You'll learn how to use the suit during a rescue. Your fellow students will learn how to manage a rescue with someone in a drysuit. win win

Now to really throw a curve ball to the group, show up at the OW dives in a drysuit and continuous harness BPW. Always a good time.

If everyone you are diving with is wearing drysuits then you need to use one too and learn how to deal with rescuing someone in a drysuit.

One of the key points of the rescue class is to deal with many different scenarios and be comfortable with various types of equipment.

I did my rescue course last year. I'd been predominantly diving dry until that point in the year (course was in May, I live in New England) - but I know the neck seal leaks if I move my head even slightly the wrong way during normal dives and I knew I was going to be manhandled, so I did it in a wetsuit (7mm w/hood, etc). People in the class were split maybe 50/50 in wet/dry, similarly split jacket/BPW. It was good to be able to practice with the mix. I was pleased with my decision, because I definitely would've ended up consistently flooded if I'd worn that drysuit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom