PADI Specialities

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thanks for helping everyone, I always asumed that it was specialty courses you did for AOW not adventure dives, so does that mean that once I've got my AOW if I want to get the specialty's for the adventure dives I did I have to do them all again and in more detail?

EDIT: forgot one other last question, do you have to do the nitrox adventure dive to do the specialty?

alcina:
The Adventure Dive you do on your AOW is the same as the first dive of a given specialty and so you have two options. 1) Skip the AOW and simply do the entire Specialty Course straight up or 2) do the AOW and each of those Adventure Dives will count as the first dive of the complete specialty.

Keeping in mind, though, that AOW is a prerequisite for Rescue Diver.

JamieFT:
thanks for helping everyone, I always asumed that it was specialty courses you did for AOW not adventure dives, so does that mean that once I've got my AOW if I want to get the specialty's for the adventure dives I did I have to do them all again and in more detail?

Yes. That's what we do all our lives.

JamieFT:
forgot one other last question, do you have to do the nitrox adventure dive to do the specialty?

No. None of the adventure dives is required for specialty courses. If you've done the corresponding adventure dive you can usually count it as the first dive for the specialty course.

I have just completed my AOW in the following "specialties":
Deep Dive
U/w Navigation
Night Dive
Multi-level/computer
Drift dive

I am considering doing deep dive as a specialty but does it really matter in doing the specialty course as compared to doing deep dives on your own? I have gone through the materials in the adventure dives, are they the same?

What does an AOW cert offer a diver?

An AOW cert gives the diver the ability to dive beyond the 60ft. limit, and expands their knowledge of navigation with a compass and natural features, which is vital to diving deeper. Beyond that it introduces the diver to three other areas of diving that help broaden their knowledge of what to expect underwater and how to enjoy it.

Beyond the two required dives of Deep and Navigation, I try to steer my students into three electives that have the most benefit. At least in my opinion that is.

The first is Peak Performance Buoyancy. This first dive starts at the end of the Navigation dive. I have them drain their tanks to 500 psi and then do an indepth buoyancy and trim evaluation and adjustment. After the surface interval with fresh tanks we go back under and practice some hovering before we play some games. The games are a combination of skills that require good buoyancy control. They are simply an introduction into alternate fining techniques. The Frog Kick, the Modified Frog Kick, The Helicopter turn, and Swimming Backwards. All of this is done with hands tucked into the BCD waist strap. I explain to the students during the pre-dive briefing that if they want to dive wrecks, caves, or get into underwater photography, they will need to know this. I also stress that the main purpose of the exercise is to maintain your depth while moving around. If you are holding a camera, waiting for that perfect shot, and need to back up 2 feet. Being able to do so while maintaining your depth and holding your camera with both hands will be vital. All their eyes light up with understanding at this point.

The second is the Night Dive. This dive always ends with “WOW where did all the fish come from”, and “it sure looks different at night, I didn’t know where we were at all”. Even though we dove the same place we did for the previous elective dives, and they saw the same artifacts and landmarks, they are all amazed at how different it looks. The first thing I have all of them do when we reach the bottom is a lights out drill. This is simply holding the light into your stomach or covering it with your hand, and we sit for about 30 seconds and see what it is like with only our marker lights providing lumination. Everyone really gets a thrill with that one, then its off to explore and look at the sights. I have the students make a note of our heading and distances traveled during the dive, and stress to them to use what was learned during the PPB class and stay neutrally buoyant. At the end of the dive I ask them what headings we went and how far. They are amazed to find that we in fact did a square pattern, exactly 100 feet in length for each side, which is exactly the same pattern and area covered during their Navigation Dive. They then understand just how I got back to exactly the same spot we started in. Up till then they think I just knew the area so well that I was just covering the same ground. Again their eyes light up in understanding of how it all fits together.

Finally the Search and Recovery. Quite simply it is the ability to search for and retrieve that lost trolling motor or other lightweight object that may be lost. Plus everyone gets a real thrill out of learning how to use a lift bag and doing search patterns underwater for the first time.

The AOW should be a fun learning experience; I hope that all of you that take the course get all you can out of it.

Have fun and Dive Safe.

Hi,
I guess lots of new divers that took up diving are still as confused about all what they want to do. Honestly, diving is a fun sport. It's the way it's presented, which makes it confusing.

It's a first thing that divers should ask, Do you want to go on teaching?? If you do or considered once, then AOW would be a good choice. It gives you the chance to try everything possible/local instructors can teach. But what AOW can do is introduce the different dives you might be interested.

I would recommend
1. Nitrox
2. Deep
3. Underwater Nav
4. Drysuit
5. Search/Recovery
6. Multidiver

It's not a matter of usefulness that PADI divers are interested in. It's FOR the FUN of diving. I know lots of divers condemm PADI but it's another story..

Nitrox Spec diver can be obtained right after finishing AOW on that weekend. Plus you get more dives out of that Nitrox Tank that you carried. Drysuit would be a great option if you ever did want to stay hot n dry. It's easier to carry a drysuit than a wetsuit.
Of course, for those that ever wanted to do tech diving later, getting a deep,nitrox and drysuit spec cards would already meet the requirements.

I would recommend doing the CPR courses with any agencies which already offers them easily, Red Cross, St's John's. It does not have to be EFR yet.. to do rescue diver. But it might change soon.

I would also recommend doing the Oxygen Resc from Royal Life Savings Society in Canada, England or Aust for guys in these countries. It's more applicable and it does not have to be DAN always.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom