Padi specialties

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know a number of people with a wallet full a specialties. I have never done a specialty - either taken or taught. Does that make them a better diver than me? No, but it makes them a better diver than they would have been if they did not have the experience under supervistion that they recevied from the Specialty. We are all motivated differently. If a plastic card moves you to dive more I think it is great.

ye, TRUE LIES ain't realistic like bond movies 's******'. Oh and 'never say never again' doesn't count because its a mickey mouse movie about a geriatric bond

haha it editted out s.n.i.g.g.e.r

I've been peeing in my wetsuit for over 25 years , and I don't know how some newbee padi dive master is going be able to improve my skills. And knowing padi, you probably need an AOW and Rescue Diver card before you can take the PIW (pee in wetsuit) specialty class.

Charlie99:
Golf Ball Diver.

The same dive shop offers "Gourmet Diver". There isn't a course description, but my guess it that it's the cleaning and cooking of your catch.

Or it might be how to make yourself more tasty to the local sharks.

- Poke holes in the wetsuit using a fork or small speargun.
- Marinade in chum and fish guts overnight.
- Dip diver in batter, and cover with fish scale breading.
- Saute' in ocean water at 70F for 30 minutes.
- Allow it to sink to the bottom before serving.

'Bone' Appetite

Tom725:
I believe you are mixing your heros. I believe that was a Governor Arnold movie.
there may be a scene like that in a guvner movie, but there is definitely a very early bond that starts like that, with connery.

BabyDuck:
there may be a scene like that in a guvner movie, but there is definitely a very early bond that starts like that, with connery.
It was the opening of Goldfinger. James Bond had a twin hose duck on the top of his head as a breathing apperatis, (a very early form of a sassy unit) swam out of the water, blew up a drug dealers hideout that looks like a fuel storage tank, peels off the dry suit exposing a non-wrinkled white tux with red carnation.

Tom725:
I believe you are mixing your heros. I believe that was a Governor Arnold movie.
If Ahnold did he is a copyccat. It was definitely Sean Connery or maybe roger Moore. Goldfinger? It is the opening scene of one of the early flicks.

matt_unique:
Content may include:

1.) "Why PADI is an easy target"
PADI certifies more divers than any other agency on the planet. When you're at the top, everyone else is trying to reach your success. This envy usually manifests itself in negativity. Similar to a manufacturing company - when you produce 10,000 units it's pretty easy to knock the larger competitor making 100,000,000 units. When your reach a similar production level, you find out you have the same problems and challenges.
2.) "How to impress upon others that the certifying agency has something to do with their diving skill"
This will be a tough one since anyone who dives knows it has very little to do with the agency, and more to do with the instructor and student.
3.) "XYZ agency divers are better than PADI divers"
Related to topic 2 but requires a seperate chapter. We take the top technical cave diver on the planet certified by XYZ agency and compare his/her skills to that of a PADI Discover Scuba student. The differences in skill are quite laughable! (Of course this all falls apart when we match the top technical divers in the world represented from each agency - we find out they have about the same skills).

--Matt

PS In my opinion PADI would be better served with stricter quality, course content, and instructor provisions in place. I think their muscle has been too focused on marketing vs. top quality education. I have no regrets having been certified through PADI. I have written them several times with suggestions for increasing their minimum standards. The PADI bashing is just stupid without recognizing the successes and what they have done for scuba which benefits all of us - PADI certified or not.

Matt,
I am leaving the PADI family to SSI because I can't stand the PADI baby talk. I am tired of being spoon-fed and regurgitating nothing useful. I just read a dive instructing book at U Maryland from 1985. Man it was great to have diver physics explained in a technical way. Some of the stuff was really out of date but it was refreshingly intellectual after numerous PADI manuals.

DeepBlueDivers:
Hi All

Do you know of any of the weird PADI specialities that have really been written?

I have been working on some special PADI Specialties with my boyfriend but we keep getting up on the kissing with the mask on one. Any suggestions?

cnctina:
I've been peeing in my wetsuit for over 25 years , and I don't know how some newbee padi dive master is going be able to improve my skills. And knowing padi, you probably need an AOW and Rescue Diver card before you can take the PIW (pee in wetsuit) specialty class.

Ok we all get your point, you have tons of experiance! BUT not everyone does. And not everyone is willing to take on a new type of dive without first reading about it and having supervision. If you have been diving for 25 years you are either really old or you started when you were you and and fearless. I think you are mixing up the idea of "the card" with the idea of enjoying controled learning before going on your own. I know how to a lot of sports but I always take lessons in everything from Skiing to diving to trithlon trianig to tax preperation to stay sharp in all the areas I work and play in.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom