PADI vs NAUI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had my LA County Card refused on a large live-aboard (Domestic) last year, (which I found odd), but the person checking the cards would not accept it because she had never seen one nor had heard of the Certification. I pulled out another card which was accepted but was a bit put off by that.

Walter:
Linda, that's just silly. LA County was the first agency and its standards far surpass others.

Ignorant englishman here again.....what is a LA County card?

Los Angeles County started certifying divers in 1954. It's a regional agency and will never be very large, but it's damned good. The first nationwide agency in the US was YMCA which started in 1959, NAUI came in the following year. PADI followed in 1966.

Cool, thanks for that. Do I take it that it is a governmental body?

Welcome to the :sblogo: I see it this way, are you a Ford or Chevy lover? Same can apply to the agencies. I find that NAUI instructers tend to do more safety training while PADI requires them to teach the material in the exact way that PADI sets it. I got a NAUI c-card and have no problems getting equipment or assistance. Eitherway, enjoy your diving and try not to worry to worry about if you got the right agency behind your back or not. You will find that everyone that dives (whether they have PADI, NAUI, SSI etc) will be just as helpful as the next.

glugo357:
Welcome to the :sblogo: I see it this way, are you a Ford or Chevy lover? Same can apply to the agencies. I find that NAUI instructers tend to do more safety training while PADI requires them to teach the material in the exact way that PADI sets it. I got a NAUI c-card and have no problems getting equipment or assistance. Eitherway, enjoy your diving and try not to worry to worry about if you got the right agency behind your back or not. You will find that everyone that dives (whether they have PADI, NAUI, SSI etc) will be just as helpful as the next.
Actually, PADI has quite a lot of flexibility. Indeed you must meet the minimum RSTC standard, plus PADIs standards, but beyond that you are encouraged to adapt the class to your students and local diving environment.

Walter:
Linda, that's just silly. LA County was the first agency and its standards far surpass others.

Yes Walter, I know, but I was not of a mind to argue, I just produced another card. You would think someone who was an instructor and had a captains license for a ship as large as that live aboard would have heard of LA County, but I guess not (especially since it was a Domestic ship), just the across the Pacific from California.

LindaBluedolphin:
Yes Walter, I know, but I was not of a mind to argue, I just produced another card. You would think someone who was an instructor and had a captains license for a ship as large as that live aboard would have heard of LA County, but I guess not (especially since it was a Domestic ship), just the across the Pacific from California.
How many certifications do they currently do every year?

jviehe:
How many certifications do they currently do every year?

I have no idea and I have not lived in CA since 1999, but they run 1 advanced diver program a year. I don't know if there is cap on the number of students or not. At one time I understand they might ran maybe 100 students through each summer in several teams. The year I took the program it was maybe 45 or so, but I honestly don't recall the exact number.

Numbers are unimportant, it is quality, not quantity. Their program is quite intense 11 weeks includes a 3 hour lecture each week and diving on the weekend, mid term test and final.

Back
Top Bottom