Padi Vs. Naui

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have seen some laim instructors and many many divers who IMO shouldn't yet have cards. An instructor is always responsible for evaluating requisit skills prior to additional training correct? Why not a dive boat?

Now... I don't have a boat and I'm not near water so I don't have a bunch of divers comming in for gas. Mostly my students and a few tech divers (I'm the only place close by to get certain gasses). I have seriously considered not honoring certain cards. And along with that cards issued by certain instructors. IMO, someone needs to keep things from going further down the toilet. They can issue a card however they want to anybody they want but I might do the same with my gas. Someone else might do the same with their boat.

If the agencies don't care enough about their reputation to keep standards at a reasonable level and exersize some care in who the have for instructors then their credibility drops. Once their card means nothing to me I am under no obligation to honer it. If I know an instructor doesn't follow standards I am under no obligation to honer cards he has issued.

Mike,

I think he was talking about turning in the instructor not the boat.

But I could be wrong.

Chad

clearblue2u once bubbled...
CAN ANYONE TELL ME IF THERE ARE SHOPS, ORGANIZATIONS, ETC THAT WILL NOT ACCEPT NAUI CERTIFICATIONS VS. PADI.

I've heard of, but not experienced such issues. My OW certification was IDEA Canada. I had a couple of people tell me I should expect problems. One was a PADI DM, associated with another shop. To date, I've never had a problem. I have had air fills at 2 different PADI, 5Star shops, without being asked to show a C-card. One was a single AL80, the other shop I arrived with 2 AL80's and 2 LP72's.

My home shop is quite safety conscious. If someone they didn't train/don't know shows up for rental gear, they'll ask for a log book as well as a C-card. They really worry about people who haven't been in the water for 2 years or more and will often require them to get in the pool for a review before renting.

Currently AOW, dual cert with IDEA Canada & NAUI

Kent

not honoring cards, but you have to realize that much like a bar, a private shop has the right to refuse service to anyone. IT isn't the best way to do business, but just because you have a card doens't mean that everyone in the world is going to honor it.

MikeFerrara,

You are absoultely right.

Another aspect of this is when you feel it is necessary to refuse to work on gear or fill tanks inspected/service by certain individuals. That is a big problem around here. (Same guy I mentioned actually) I won't even fill a tank inspected by this guy. I just have to tell the person sorry. This guy wasn't even looking inside the tanks, just throw a sticker on it. There was debris, rust and two broken snorkel tubes inside the tank. (Plastic ones at that) He dosn't reaplace parts on regs, or either does it incorrectly and apparently just hooks them up to the magnahelic.

I'm glad I don't own a dive shop because just knowing stuff like this makes me furious.

but occasionally a c-card will be refused. Usually it is because the person checking the card is unfamiliar with the agency. NAUI and PADI cards are common enough that most any dive shop clerk has seen tham.

The same may not be true for cards from a few much smaller agencies. I once had to explain to a clerk that LA County does in fact have a dive training program (one of the oldest at that), and that the card another dive was presenting was valid.

More commonly, you may be asked for additional photo id if your c-card does not have your photo on it.

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
I have seen some laim instructors and many many divers who IMO shouldn't yet have cards. An instructor is always responsible for evaluating requisit skills prior to additional training correct? Why not a dive boat?

I was suggesting one should turn in the "menace" who issues cards to unqualified divers. NOT to the boat that refuses cards. Although on the subject of boats declining cards, it is a rare boat indeed, because in CA waters everyone is required to sign a waiver, obsolving the boat of liability for bad divers - it holds up pretty well in a court of law too. Boats need the money to stay in business, so like I said it is rare indeed to be declined for any card, any level of experience, at any time.

Walter once bubbled...
"all have the same minimal training standards."

True to a point...
NAUI requires OW students to be trained in basic rescue techniques and perform an unconscience diver rescue with and without scuba. Also...5 OW dives are required to complete the course.

XtremeSea1,

Did you bother to read my post? I was explaining why that quote was not true. There are many, many more differences than those you pointed out. While I am not one of PADI's many fans, I must point out, that while they do not teach it as completely as some other agencies (including NAUI), they do require some basic rescue techniques in their OW course. Your statement implies they do not.

There is a myth that all agencies have the same standards. That is simply not true.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom