Padi Vs. Naui

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

question: "CAN ANYONE TELL ME IF THERE ARE SHOPS, ORGANIZATIONS, ETC THAT WILL NOT ACCEPT NAUI CERTIFICATIONS VS. PADI."

reply:
I'm dual certified to teach both PADI and NAUI courses.(not simaltainiously)
I had one comment from a student, who vacationed in the south of France last summer. He is NAUI certified and commented that the NAUI card was notas well recognised in France as the PADI card was.

He did not say it was not accepted, but his brother had a PADI card and there was no concern. They did recognise his NAUI card, but there was a little discussion involved.

Mike D
NAUI 4780
PADI 202288

Walter once bubbled...
XtremeSea1,Did you bother to read my post?

Yes, it just wasn't clear at the time that you were quoting someone else. Yes, there are many more differences...the 2 I listed are just the most obvious. Other agencies may have brief discussions about rescue (referring to OW level training) but to my knowlege (I could be mistaken) they don't require the successful recovery of an unconscience diver

Sorry, it looks like the post I was quoting and disagreeing with was deleted. How could you know?

...for sticking up for one of our LA County graduates. We DO have a legit program.

I do not know where the rumor started that you have to have a c-card from whatever agency that is affiliated with the shop, resort, or boat that you are going to, but I have not found that to be true. I do not have a PADI card but have stayed at PADI resorts without a hassle. I think that what that affiliation means is that if you want ot get a cert while u r there, it will be with that agency.

and each put's its own spin on an OW course. Successful completion of the course should earn you a c-card which is widely recognized.

Our shop does not care one bit which agency a diver certifies through. We just need proof of certification so our liability insurance will cover us should an accident happen.

The hardest part is learning all the lingo used to describe levels of certification: Basic Scuba Diver, Open Water Diver, Scuba Diver I, Scuba Diver, one-star, two-star, etc... Some certifications require the person to dive with a dive professional, or otherwise place restrictions on the diver. It would be nice if that were all more clear.

Pet peeve rant follows:
There is little practical benefit to the travelling diver, so long as you always remember to bring your c-card. If you regularly fail to bring your c-card, then there are certain agencies that provide faster verification of your training via phone, fax, or the internet.

Walter once bubbled...
I wouldn't describe LA County as a legit program. I would describe it as one of the best! In fact, it's possibly the best.

They were also the very first public training agency. Their director at the time (Tillman) developed and held the first NAUI ITC. Tillman went on to be NAUI's first president. LA County is a very prestigious agency with a rich history.

Anyone here get their C card from
Eds' Driving & Diving School?

Back
Top Bottom