PADI Wreck Diving class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

serambin

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi,

I am considering taking the PADI Wreck diving class. What are the pros and cons?

Thanks,

Stan

Find an instructor who does wreck diving for fun. Real wreck diving, not house boats in local quarries.

ppo2_diver:
Find an instructor who does wreck diving for fun. Real wreck diving, not house boats in local quarries.

WHAT?! :confused:
you mean diving those 16ft ski boats in quaries doesn't count? Oh man! I'm gonna have to scratch out all those wreck dives from my log. :eyebrow:

FD

Yes, PPo2, I am joking.

There should be a "sticky" post at the top of the forum entitled:

The answer to any question you have about any course offered by any agency...

Whatever the question is, the answer is "it depends on the instructor."

:)

But seriously, as our friend from Naperville points out, an instructor who dives wrecks all the time because it's what they love to do is the instructor you want.

The guy who I took my Wreck Class from was just that type of guy, and I got a lot out of the class. He really prepped me for deep, dark, cold NJ wreck diving. (Though we did do the class in a deep, dark, cold PA quarry.)

One should also get the instructor's course outline. If an instructor hands you the PADI manual and says he teaches PADI's standard outline, the I'd go somewhere else. A good wreck instructor will include "extras" in their class. Things such as teaching anti-silting kicks (i.e. frog kicks) and go over extra buoyancy training. Gas planning is a MUST for any good wreck diving class.

That being said, if a person who only wants to learn how to navigate safely around a wreck and never go inside, then the standard PADI outline is sufficient and any wreck instructor can teach that. But that isn't real wreck diving in my book, but everyone can have their own opinion. But it isn't something I will teach.

I should add that the house and ski boats in the local quarries are a good place to practice line handling skills. So they do have a good place in wreck training.

It all depends on the instructor/school. Some will just do the course on 10' wrecks in a local quarry - which does allow all points to be covered. Others make a much more enjoyable course out of it. I know one school which only teaches the wreck course to students who already have Advanced Nitrox or higher because they do the course on some deep North Sea wrecks which normally involves some deco to get a decent dive in.

fire_diver:
WHAT?! :confused:
you mean diving those 16ft ski boats in quaries doesn't count? Oh man! I'm gonna have to scratch out all those wreck dives from my log. :eyebrow:

FD

Yes, PPo2, I am joking.

you trying to say i sunk my harley for nothing in my goldfishpond???

ok, serious :), padi wreck course with a good instructor is a nice intro to wreck diving. if there are no suitable wrecks in your area, forget it. if you have a serious interest in wreck diving, consider courses of tech agencies like tdi, iantd and the likes. there is nothing more dangerous than this half-knowledge when getting into more demanding environments.

personaly i wouldn't bother with the course. In my opinion its just another money making sceme for PADI. If you are a confident and clever diver you should be able to work things out by yourself! However i would recommend that you do your first wreck dives following a dive master because you can pick up some tips. If you need any guidance on wreck diving safety, someone at your LSD or centre will be able to help you for FREE!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom