PADI Zombie Apocalypse Diver Course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If anything, it does prove how meaningless the PADI "Master SCUBA DIVER" rating really is...

Q: Does this certification count towards my MASTER SCUBA
DIVER rating?
A: Yes it does.

I'm finding myself soul searching on this...

A. Do I love it because it sounds fun, light-hearted and might be a clever way to entice people towards continued education? Yes, you should. It does sound like all those things.

B. Do I despair over PADI's ability to authorize anything for a buck..? I admit that I am curious about the communications that must have occurred between the DS author and PADI. I think I will give PADI a pass on this one. There must be something there.

C. Do I need to lighten up? This might be the right time to do just that.
I am really curious about what is actually done in the course. Maybe, it is time to go with the flow and see what people who take it think.

While I personally might agree that $200 could be better spent on something else, more than a few people people spend a whole lot more than that for photo ops with celebrities, and other equally inane activities. So, $200 for a two tank dive outing PLUS an official Zombie Apocalypse card doesn't necessarily seem all that bad by comparison. I wonder if they also offer secret decoder rings with the class.

OK, if its in fact real, its kinda funny.Would I spend $200 on it? No way. Will people take this course? You betcha'.

Does it have value? Depending how in-depth it goes into the stated "secret" curricula items it could have value IMO. I do think it's more for laughs though.

This class was designed with the diver in mind. You will learn:

-Zombie Biology
-Zombie History
-Types of Zombies
-Real Life Zombies
-Survival Skills
-Buoyancy Skills
-Search and Recovery Skills
-Rescue Skills
-First-Aid Skills

It's coming to our area sometime soon. it looks like some sort of broad brush AOW/rescue conglomeration of a primmer or tune-up. If it's really well done I suppose it could be worthwhile but it sounds so freekin stupid I won't even consider it.

I don't think comparing the cost of the class to charter fees makes any sense.

Hmmm...They must know something we don't.

I think we'll hold off for now. From what I hear, zombie's hate humidity and warm water.

If anything, it does prove how meaningless the PADI "Master SCUBA DIVER" rating really is...

Q: Does this certification count towards my MASTER SCUBA
DIVER rating?
A: Yes it does.

Do you know what the performance requirements are for the specialty? This seems like a knee-jerk reaction, unless you have that information and can back that statement up. Obviously, I do not agree that the MSD rating is meaningless.

They don't share the performance requirements because someone may copy it. Why people don't sell their outlines, I'll never know, but that's another discussion. I'm going with option B. This just screams to me as an attempt for PADI to approve something that's more culturally relevant than anything and make a quick buck. Perhaps if they shared more of the outline, I'd change my mind, but this just looks cheesy and a way to help build the Put Another Dollar In mentality.

FYI: I'm a huge zombie genre fan, so I should actually be interested in this. However, my desire for education and value supersedes my love for zombies.

If a culturally relevant way to get divers interested in diving, and get them some skill development along the way, I think that's a great idea. Maybe there IS education and value, along with some zombie makeup. Without the performance requirements, you can't say there's not.

And let's face it; we can all use some tips on how to deal with the impending zombie apocalypse.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom