PADI Zombie Apocalypse Diver Course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Then let's just call it bad marketing because without performance requirements, it sounds like pandering to pop culture.

"Come take my class!"
"What will I learn?"
"Can't tell you!"
"Here's my money!"

I'm pretty picky about where I spend $200.

A. Yes
B. Yes
C. Yes

This is simply a re-hash of old technology.

Here's the first video textbook on the matter: Shock Waves (1977) - IMDb

The "official" Law Enforcement designation for this long anticipated event is ZX

Hey Wally :hm: wait here just a second. Something doesn't make sense. Their patch for this PADI specialty isn't crescent shaped and I won't be able to have Maude sew it on my jacket along with the other 15.

I don't like it. No sir, not one bit. I vote no.

(They might make more money just selling patches of their logo)

I agree it sounds ridiculous, but they managed to create something really outlandish and then convince PADI to put their name on it. You have to give them credit for that.

Yeah, joining the ranks of other insanely valuable offerings such as:
No Fear Diver (also called Open Water to those who aren't an instructor of this specialty)
Underwater Model (hint: waterproof makeup)
Helicopter Diver (because SEAL teams recruit direct from PADI)
Available Light Underwater Photo (aka I couldn't afford a strobe, but I could afford this course!)
Zen Diver (isn't most diving zen?)
Future Perfect Diver (I really have no idea what this one is)
Millennium Diver (limited edition I'd imagine)
Plus these fun ones: Underwater Game Player, Underwater Hockey, Underwater Wedding, and Underwater Basket Weaving

I've taken several great distinctive specialties, so I'm not against the idea at all. But this one and the list above really comes across as PADI being more than happy to take $80 for each instructor application plus $15 for each diver certification.

a new one could be underwater adult movie star. combines underwater videography with buddy skills improvement.

not sure the zombie one would be worth it except in the zany card collection category. if up front that it combines actual skills improvement with the zombie fun.. it *might* be worth it if you had the money to burn or a huge fan of Ash.

the only specialty i'm possibly interested right now is the lionfish one and maybe one on coral conservation.

It's instructors who create these courses. If I had a market of students who were interested in learning how to be in and take great underwater photos with full makeup, would I not be foolish to not take advantage of that? Students are my customers. Meeting my customers' needs is just good business. Helping them get some scuba skills, experience and training along the way is a good thing. We hear so much about how scuba should be fun and social. Well, scuba diving during the zombie apocalypse and the entire list you've posted sounds like just that. Fun and social.

And you forgot Underwater Golf Ball Hunter.

To me "take advantage" is the key phrase. If they want to take great underwater photos with full makeup, I'd teach them the underwater photography specialty and give away pointers about how to pose for the pictures.

We were talking about this on Facebook, but I'd rather do a Zombie Master Scuba Diver with some kind of combo of PPB, Underwater Hunter, Search & Recovery, Night, and Equipment with Rescue/EFR as a prerequisite. More dives, more experience, more certification cards (if that's what they're after), and plenty of skills that would be applicable to the zombie apocalypse.

---------- Post added May 3rd, 2013 at 08:32 AM ----------

And having known a few pro underwater golf ball hunters, I don't consider that a mostly pointless specialty, I've heard plenty of horror stories :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom