Painting an Auminum tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScottyK

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I tried the search on this, but could only find info on painting steel tanks.

Is this possible, and can it be done without looking like a total hack job?

Jen and I have been getting into more technical diving and upgrading our gear accordingly. I am buying steel tanks soon, but have a set of AL80's that I want to keep for shore diving and as a spare set. The problem is that her tank is pink :rolleyes: She is getting sick of the endless stupid comments about it.

If need be, I'll buy her a new one. I'd prefer not to as this one is cleaned for Nitrox and the latest hydro is less than a year old. I would appreciate any suggestions on changing the color.

Thanks,
Scott

A tank blast is pretty cheap and looks great. Your LDS or the local fire/ext. shop can do it for you. If you want to DIY use DAD's paint remover and a stiff brush then a scotch bright pad. To paint it use ZincCromate and topcoat with a good automotive paint and it should last a good long time.

Dago.

Thanks for the info. By tank blast I am assuming they sandblast it down to the galvanized finish? That would probably be OK. Hopefully my LDS does it. That will make getting the Nitrox and VIP stickers replaced easier.

Thanks again,

Scott

DO NOT sand blast an Aluminum Tank! You can easily cut to deep into the metal and destroy the tank. There is no Galvanized coating on Aluminum Tanks. Aircraft Paint Stripper and a presure washer will work wonders for removing paint from any tank. You should find it at most Auto Parts Stores. Also DO NOT sand or scrape on any tank. A lot of LDS get real leary of filling a tank that has been repainted, since they don't know what you might have done that could have destroyed the integrety (Hydro) of the tank. Do a search on "Tank Refinishing" and you should find a lot of discussion on this subject.

I have been beedblasting tanks for the local shops for 20 years and in no way is it harmful to the alum. This is miss information period.

Dago

dagodiver:
I have been beedblasting tanks for the local shops for 20 years and in no way is it harmful to the alum. This is miss information period.

Dago

I also have been bead blasting then hydro then paint with no problems.

dagodiver:

Dago

Is there a difference between bead blasting and sand blasting?

Yes sand blasting is heavy duty cleaning, bead is like tiny glass beads and it used were sand may damage the object you are cleaning.
A problem you may run into, where I get mine cleaned, $10 per tank.... $50 min job

I have had this "Blasting" discussion with the owner of the largest hydo test facility in my area. His opinion has been that no blasting is acceptable on Aluminum Tanks. I did talk to him about blasting with Walnut Shells, and he told me he was looking into the possibility of offering that process. Personally I would prefer some type of shotblast finish over paint on my Aluminum's.

Back
Top Bottom