Palau info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba e

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello all,
In need of info fro Palau.
Best time of year?
Best Live aboard?
Best land based?

Last year we did Puerto Galera. Loved it but mostly macro. Sounds like Palau is a good mix of big and small (?).
The wife is also ready for a live aboard (all other trips have been land based).
Some final thoughts, I do shoot a full sized rig and at least 4 dives a day is mandatory.

Any thoughts/guidance would be very helpful!

Thank you in advance.

Erik

Hi Scuba e,
I'm sure this has been asked before - I think there are some useful threads around. I've been to Palau 5 times, on Ocean Hunter III (Fish n' Fins). One of the main reasons I keep going back with those guys is that they get me in the water 5 times a day, and they let me film in peace! Palau has lots of stuff, but the macro is mainly at night. Timing - try and make sure your trip coincides with a full or new moon. If you have any spare days either side of your liveaboard, then Palau Pacific Resort is worth the expense.
Check out the Palau videos in my signature if you're interested.
Matt

One of the main reasons I keep going back with those guys is that they get me in the water 5 times a day,
Matt

Hi Matt. Can I ask what is the typical duration of the dives in that case ? 45 mins each ? or more like 60-70 mins ?

Thanks

Hi,
the day dives are scheduled for 55 minutes, but if your air consumption is OK you can add 10 mins to that. I average an hour when I'm there, which is fine. If you're at German Channel and the mantas are dancing, I think you'd just stay until people run low on air.
However, it's not the place to rent twin 12s expecting to do 90 mins+ with your buddy, because otherwise the day's schedule of dive sites would be messed up - it's all very carefully timed according to tides and expected currents etc, which make a big difference. Night dives are usually about 45 mins, mainly due to diver feeling cold/hungry/wanting to join the others on board with a beer!
Obviously, if you're doing 5 dives a day, that means an early start... many people on the boat miss a few dives during the week, but if you're reasonably fit it's no problem. Nitrox is a must, obviously.

Matt

Thanks Matt for the detailed info.

I am seriously thinking about going there on a liveaboard in mid-Jan. I hope it works.

It is not relatively dangerous to do 5 dives a day for so long.
The maximun I have done are 4 and I thought it was enought

It is not relatively dangerous to do 5 dives a day for so long.
The maximun I have done are 4 and I thought it was enought

Not at all. Using a computer or multi level planning it is quite doable. Just give yourself a couple hours between dives.

Back
Top Bottom