Path to the Hogarthian Way

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aleggo once bubbled...
For the divers who have decided that the Hogarthian way is the correct gear configuration, did you gradually change your current setup or did you change everything at once?

I know the current set up I have is imperfect, e.g. Jacket BCD, short hoses, split fins, console computer. I have recently moved my computer and compass to my wrists and currently looking at BP+wings. I plan to slowly convert my setup when I am comfortable and have the money, but this will not stop me diving my current configuration.

I am interested in your experiences.

For those who came in late:
Hogarthian - a minimal gear configuration characterised by a long hose, backplate + wings, bungeed secondary, etc. Developed further by GUE (www.gue.com) into DIR (doing it right).

Before I even heard of DIR I had
Brass SPG
Wrist Computer
Wrist Compass

1st Step - 5' foot primary and bungied backup.

(Donating the primary made sense, and was very comfortable (I thought it was better than the "standard" setup)

2nd Step - Jet Fins

Had Areis Velocity fins. They were nice but had no real thrust to them. With the jets, I can kick and glide.... The velocity's I would kick...and then kick...and then kick....

3rd Step - Pioneer Wing 36 lb (DIY AL BP with 6 lb channel weight)

It disappears underwater. Best BC I have dove.

Jeff

My original setup was a stab jacket with Tusa fins that felt like I had 2 pieces of plywood strapped to my feet, a dangling 3 guage console and the usual clipped of octo and a primary on 36" hoses.
My next big waste of money was a Dacor The Rig. What an air trapping uncomfortable POS that was. Sold it on e-bay for $150.

My first step to Hogathian/DIR was a set of Jetfins w/springstraps.
I had planned on slowly getting the rest together.
I got a Halcyon 7' hose, then I found a backplate/harness on e-bay for a very decent price. Almost there!
I figured I'd wait another 6-8 months before I got a wing for it, but the wife decided to get the wing for me as a surprise.
Boy what a great surprise that was!
I have never been this comfortable in the water, I will never again wear a traditional BC. I will pack up my bp/w's when I travel too.
Just about have the money now for my MK25 and I should be content for another 6-8 months:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom