Paul Humann's "Reef Set" guides for 50% off-- a shopper's tale!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FastDen

Registered
Reaction score
Hi y'all-
Thanks to the advice and recommendations from the good folks on this board, I decided I wanted to get Paul Humann's "Reef Set" guides before my next trip to Coz. But at $130 for the set (or a little less online) they're a little price-y for me right now. However, there's a terrific bookstore here in New York City- Strand Books- where you can buy "reviewer's copies" of new and recent books for 50% off the cover price (I spend way too much time and money there).

I looked through their nature section the last time I was in, but no fish or marine life guides. They have a request system, though, where you can put in a request for a particular title and if/when it comes in they'll call you and hold it for you to pick up. I figured that finding ANY of Paul Humann's guides, let alone the complete "Reef Set" was a long shot, as most of the books that Strand gets come from the big publishing houses, and small presses like the one that puts out Humann's guides rarely show up in their stock. Still, no harm in trying, so I put in a request just last week.

Imagine my shock and surprise when I received a call yesterday telling me they got in a brand-new slipcovered box set of the "Reef Guides"-- for $59.99!!! :D They're amazing guides, and I can't wait until my next trip to start looking for my favorite critters- now that I know what they are! And while I was there I also found the new Lonely Planet guide to diving the Bay Islands of Honduras in the travel section, at 50% off, too- double score!

So if you live in or near NYC, do yourself a favor and check out Strand Books- it's the best! If not, look 'em up online, save money, and spend it diving! And thanks again to all of you for your recommendations- I appreciate your help!
FastDen :rainbow:

What a cool deal! :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom