Paying g/f's diving trips?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am kind of there too. I make a lot more than my GF and it is "expected" I dole out more on trips than here. We have talked about it and on ANY trip she will pay her on flight costs. She will pay for any trinkets she wishes to purchase. I normally will pay for lodging, rental car and most food.
It is also understood, since she is a non diver, if I decide to go on a dive trip and she cant afford airfare, then she stays and I go. So far that has not happened. Waiting to see it happen as I think it will be interesting.

Hi Alex:

If scuba is her hobby then she should be aware of the costs associated with it and be cool with paying her way. Depending on how deep she is into the scuba scene, she may be keen to the idea and want to show you that she is. But if she is not, please don't lure her into thinking that it is more than it is, and definitely don't use scuba as a means of bringing you two together.

I made this stupid mistake; despite my warnings about codependency and "do it for you", my girlfriend was adamant about wanting to scuba dive and then of course I was pretty excited about the idea too. Then when she and I split, I despised scuba diving and anything that reminded me of us. I lost a few expensive scuba items which were really nothing to me but it was the memories that really stung.

Now, I would not buy anything scuba related for a woman again unless she is unfortunate enough to become my wife. I also think paying for anything in scuba for a new girlfriend is shaky at best, scuba is maybe what brings two together, but when you split, you lose out.

Good luck!

With kind regards,
Thomas

Do you have any reason to believe she actually expects you to pay for her trips? I've dated women who expected me to pay for dinners, but never one that expected me to pay for her dives.

I agree, look into buying your own gear if you are spending that much to rent...

I have a diving GF I got her into it, she and I split the costs for our dives etc. This isn't being stingee or tight fisted it is being a couple. If she doesn't understand that you expect her to help with the costs, do what I did with me EX, kick her to the curb, and take all the dive gear with you :D
Posted via Mobile Device

And anybody that does not believe that LetterBoy did this, he has pictures of him in his wifes gear somewhere....hilarious although he looks genuinely confused when wearing it :rofl3:

If I'm paying for the diving she better be blowin more than just bubbles.

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

:shocked: Holy crap someone actually said this.....you owe me a keyboard because I just spat coffee on this one. :rofl3:

And anybody that does not believe that LetterBoy did this, he has pictures of him in his wifes gear somewhere....hilarious although he looks genuinely confused when wearing it :rofl3:
That's cause I don't really dive, I ust read about it on SB :)

Posted via Mobile Device

Post nekkid pics of her. Then we'll vote.

Even while in possession of my shiny new man card, I'm not touching this line of discussion!!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom