P'cola Beach/Ft. Pickens

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TMHeimer

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Dartmouth,NS,Canada(Eastern Passage-Atlantic)
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Someone mentioned a while ago that there is a dive site on the bay side between Pensacola Beach and the Ft. Pickens gate--a parking lot on the right at the end of the populated area. It apparently is your typical shallow bay shore dive with limited viz. Has anyone dived there? If so, did you have any problems parking in that big parking lot (restrictions,etc.--only club members for the establishment next to it)? Appreciate any info., as I may drive there from Destin for a dive and want to avoid surprises.

I did the dive--got 12'. They have some structures right close to shore somewhat like the "artificial reef" things at Navarre. Am now looking for a buddy for Ft. Pickens if anyone's interested.

I did the dive--got 12'. They have some structures right close to shore somewhat like the "artificial reef" things at Navarre. Am now looking for a buddy for Ft. Pickens if anyone's interested.

TMHeimer, I'll be over there with a couple of friends tomorrow. We're meeting at the seawall at 3 pm. Home you can make it!

Carl

TMHeimer, I'll be over there with a couple of friends tomorrow. We're meeting at the seawall at 3 pm. Home you can make it!

Carl

Thanks. Just got your e mail now & wife needs car tomorrow. NOAA said high tide was after dark Sun. Did you do a night dive? Let me know if your down there again Feb. or March--I have all the high tides written down.

Thanks. Just got your e mail now & wife needs car tomorrow. NOAA said high tide was after dark Sun. Did you do a night dive?

Looks like high tide near the site *should* be 5:36pm. Sunset is at 5:20.

I've typically found the nicest conditions to be an hour or so before high tide. We should be splashing no later than 4. It's not a big deal (to us) if the sun goes down while we're in the water: dusk/night dives are always fun, too!

I hope your wife finishes up with the car so you can make it!!

Carl

No, it's an all day thing. But thanks. I look for the high tides early/mid afternoon. Let me know if you guys go again and I'll check tides. I've heard if you miss slack tide the current can be bad, even with the site being a bit away from the bay opening. I am in Destin 'til the end of March.

The current can get pretty kicking at times, usually when there is more water moving through. There are plenty of rocks to hold onto, usually if you catch the tide right it's not that bad.

No, it's an all day thing. But thanks. I look for the high tides early/mid afternoon. Let me know if you guys go again and I'll check tides. I've heard if you miss slack tide the current can be bad, even with the site being a bit away from the bay opening. I am in Destin 'til the end of March.

Pickens almost always turns way early. As a result, I usually aim to splash at least 2-3 hours before the predicted high tide. We hit the water at 3:30 yesterday, and the tide was already beginning to fall. Mild current, great visibility. Fun dive. Stayed in for about 55 minutes, and we were geared down & on the way to dinner by sunset.

I posted a full (albiet melodramatic) report over on the facebook page along with a couple of stills from some gopro video: https://www.facebook.com/groups/gcds1/

Doc, Thanks for the heads up.

Back
Top Bottom