PDC Hotel recommendations for two young (and new) divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Honestly, I find the set up a bit expensive. Halcyon is a reknowned, reputable brand, but if I were you, I'd get a cheaper BP&W set up with a 30lb wing, and then invest in a bigger wing when the need arises. The padded shoulders and Cinch harness seem like a good idea on paper, but I think they're more of a marketing gimmick. I was afraid when I bought my set up that the harness would be uncomfortable as it is just webbing or that I would have trouble donning my kit as there are no buckles for a quick adjust. Was happy to find out that it was a non-issue.

It's expensive for sure. But it's reputable, has a solid warranty, I can have it serviced near where I live should anything go wrong, and it's gear I'll be able to grow into and that will last. I did a lot of research and haven't really found any dissatisfied customers -- only con that ever comes up in reviews or reports is the price, as you said. But I can easily afford it. In a few years, I might have babies and a wife, which will probably not only cut diving time a lot, but cut the budget too. I'm taking advantage of my freedom and youth :D

Today we got to dive a tank in Montreal's Olympic pool . It's apparently a North American exclusive... it's a pool 55' deep built exclusively for divers.

Video: Bassin de Plongée sous-marine du Stade Olympique de Montréal on Vimeo

Was pretty cool to dive all the way down to 55 feet considering the OW courses were made in a pool 6ft deep.

Saturday and Sunday: certification time! It'll be chilly, but I'm excited for it. Especially on Sunday, as I'll be diving my first wreck! :D:dork2::crafty:
Conestoga - Scubapedia

I am now PADI OWD certified! :acclaim:

Wearing a 14mm in my vest felt like squeezing too much sushi in a snugger fit condom... I can't think of no other metaphor to describe the feeling. It was very uncomfortable on the surface, and tolerable in the water. I think the dive shop sized the vest when I tried it with my normal clothing, but with the 14mm on, I couldn't even close the Velcro strap at the front. That, and my broad shoulders felt very constrained with the two piece wetsuit... definitely NOT comfortable. Add the hood and gloves on top of it all, and it was quite a different feeling than wearing a simple bathing suit and a vest in the pool. :coffee: My breathing was even impaired when in positive buoyancy on the surface with the added squeeze from the side wings on the vest. I imagine with BP&W and a 3mm in Cozumel/PDC, I'll feel a lot more "free" (can't remember last time I had my balls squeezed so tight...)

Water was at a chilly 50F exactly, but with a 14mm, it took less than a min before you felt warm. Only issue I personally encountered was when we had to lose the mask, retrieve it around us and put it back on... I removed the mask too fast, not expecting the water to be SO cold, and when it hit me all at once, the shock felt like a truck had hit me in the face. Let's just say the mask was put back on quite rapidly and promptly emptied of water!

Can't wait to dive down south now! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom