Peeing in a drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just buy a few extra absorbant Depends adult diaper....wear and pee in it,,,,been done for years in dry suit diving! I have used then on deco dives with great success.

loosebits:
Why is this a bladder bail out? Of course my dive plan never includes pissing but when I feel the urge, I go. I put the catheter on, I might as well make use of it.

Edit: Yeah... I'm curious too. I've heard of the occasional bladder infection (likely caused by inadequate gear maintenance). Other than that, I have not heard of any downsides to using a p-valve.

argos59:
who makes the best p valve ?

I've only ever seen the halcyon branded p valves. The work well enough.

From 5thd-x.com:

"The balanced valve has a separate balancing chamber that equalizes the pressure of the valve with that of inside your dry suit, making it somewhat easier to relieve yourself at depth. In all honesty, the author has never found an appreciable difference between the balanced or unbalanced types. The greatest benefit is that the balancing chamber provides a barrier between the water and the diver. That is to say, the outside environment cannot backwash into the system as a one-way valve controls flow. The non-balanced valve is simply a vent to the outside.

Both systems normally have some sort of protective hollow nut on the exterior that locks closed when not in use, thus maintaining system integrity. While this nut should be only loosened when the system is being used, it is particularly important that it be in place when using an unbalanced valve; if the catheter unexpectedly comes off during a dive, the suit will flood."

We (the guys I dive with) use the balanced variety.

The more interesting questions are, what type of condom catheter to use and what type of grooming is required?

Adobo:
From 5thd-x.com:

Both systems normally have some sort of protective hollow nut on the exterior that locks closed when not in use, thus maintaining system integrity. While this nut should be only loosened when the system is being used, it is particularly important that it be in place when using an unbalanced valve; if the catheter unexpectedly comes off during a dive, the suit will flood."

So I need to turn a nut to pee?

Randolphscott:
So I need to turn a nut to pee?

Well, it depends on how lucky you are feeling. :)

There is a bolt at the end of the p-valve. On balanced p-valves, you can leave the bolt off when you are diving. Keep the bolt in one of your pockets just in case though.

The bolt also is also hollowed out and has pass through holes so that if you open the bolt a few turns, the p-valve becomes usable.

It makes me feel so much better knowing I'm not the only one for whom diving is a direct cause of urination. I don't dive dry-suits (if I have to wear a drysuit it's not recreational anymore), and I don't pee in my wetsuit - but so help me, I'm the first one on the boat, and as soon as I've helped everyone else on the boat the back end of the boat is MINE. I've marked every dive site I've been to like a dog and a fire hydrant!

undefined:
It makes me feel so much better knowing I'm not the only one for whom diving is a direct cause of urination. I don't dive dry-suits (if I have to wear a drysuit it's not recreational anymore), and I don't pee in my wetsuit - but so help me, I'm the first one on the boat, and as soon as I've helped everyone else on the boat the back end of the boat is MINE. I've marked every dive site I've been to like a dog and a fire hydrant!

Why can't you just cut a pee pee hole in your wet suit?? Why don't they make pee pee holes in the wet suits??

It could be a liability issue if you dove with barracudas??:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom