Perhentian Trip Report - Jul 5-7.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for sharing your experiences nerve...

i went up to perhentians in 2000 with my ex who was a non-diver, so I only managed to squeeze in 1 dive *sigh* have been dying to go up so many times, if only i can cut down my dive trips to redang :wink:

but the island is simply beautiful....had a lovely time there even when not diving. hope to make my way up there next month!!

i understand that the jellyfish is only around during a certain period (redang faces the same prob) and should go away soon?? not sure when tho....that's why you'd never catch me out of my full suit heheh

verve - if you're planning to hit Tioman, make sure you ask to go to the nice dive sites like Tiger Reef (awesome, simply awesome), Bahara Rock, Malang Rocks, Chebeh, Labas, Renggis (never fails to disappoint). If you get good viz, you get really nice diving! :)
Try to stay at Salang - there's a nice stretch of beach on the far left where you can do some tanning or beach games/swimming in between the surface intervals. Can't wait to hear your trip report! :D

cheers,
AsianDiverGal

My dive operator in the Perhentians had no problem with letting me come along on the night dive despite the fact that I only had 7 dives under my belt at that point. I was using Stingray Divers, which is just a short hop down the beach from Coral Sky.

AOW is required for very few dives in the Perhentians.

Originally posted by Bfwolf
My dive operator in the Perhentians had no problem with letting me come along on the night dive despite the fact that I only had 7 dives under my belt at that point. I was using Stingray Divers, which is just a short hop down the beach from Coral Sky.

AOW is required for very few dives in the Perhentians.

:eek: with only 7 dives under ur belt but then have u taken ur AOW ??? if u have, still ok but if not , doesn't nitrogen nacorsis bother u guys :confused:

I just have open-water certification...the night dive wasn't deep, so nitrogen narcosis was not an issue. Most of the dives in the Perhentians are 20 meters or shallower, so you don't need to worry about narcosis. There's a couple of sites where you might go down to 25 meters or so (I never went deeper than 20), but narcosis will not be a problem for most people at this depth either. Some dive operators will not take you out to those deepest sites unless you have AOW, but some will take OW people there, too. As all the dives are led by diving professionals, I guess some of them feel comfortable bending PADI's suggested depth limits a little.

But if you don't feel comfortable going deeper than 20m, you will NOT have any problem diving in the Perhentians.

Originally posted by Bfwolf
I just have open-water certification...the night dive wasn't deep, so nitrogen narcosis was not an issue. Most of the dives in the Perhentians are 20 meters or shallower, so you don't need to worry about narcosis. There's a couple of sites where you might go down to 25 meters or so (I never went deeper than 20), but narcosis will not be a problem for most people at this depth either. Some dive operators will not take you out to those deepest sites unless you have AOW, but some will take OW people there, too. As all the dives are led by diving professionals, I guess some of them feel comfortable bending PADI's suggested depth limits a little.

But if you don't feel comfortable going deeper than 20m, you will NOT have any problem diving in the Perhentians.

That's a relief...guess Perhentian shldn't be a problem to me :D
but come to think abt it...diving season for perhentian is coming to end soon...guess have to wait for next season ;-0

The season ends in October! There's still 3 months to go.

BTW, I also did my AOW with only 9 previous dives. Some friends even went straight from OW to AOW in two successive weekends. I don't think there is any minimum number of dives you have to do before AOW.

Happy diving!
:)

Originally posted by neve
The season ends in October! There's still 3 months to go.

BTW, I also did my AOW with only 9 previous dives. Some friends even went straight from OW to AOW in two successive weekends. I don't think there is any minimum number of dives you have to do before AOW.

Happy diving!
:)

In fact, I'm doing my AOW next week with only 4 dives under my belt (from my OW) :D

guess I can handle it so why stop at OW :D

Well...let me put it this way, I have "sort" of missed the boat to Perhentian... unless I can get on a "speedboat" before the season end ....in simple english ,my kakis going on national day and I can't joined them ;-0 unless I find some more kakis to go...if not I guess have to wait for next season... ;-0

actually kind of interested in Redang...have u been there ??? heard tt it's nice too

that's all

Happy diving to u too

Animian,

Head up to Perhentian before the season ends, lest you have to wait till next year. And like Neve said, it takes just as long to get to Aur. Besides, my dive buddies when I head up were not AOW divers and we did a total of 8 wonderful dives. No deep diving below 25m though as our dive operator there was kinda strict on the rules.

Jellies ..... yikes, I will not go into the water without a full suit anymore, you can bet on that. But aint interested in decking myself in a full 3mm either as this waters are too warm for that.:eek:

For Redang, planning to do so probably just before the season ends. But its tioman here i come first. Going to hit the usual spots etc like Tiger Reef and such. That is for my National Day weekend trip and looking forward to that. In fact, I hope my Apeks ATX200 will arrive by then, just ordered them from US.
Yeah yeah, some may say, why on earth do I need that type of reg here but with Dive Master Pertama charging S$590 for the ATX50, I dont see the difference in paying just a little more. Besides, I swore not to join my buddy in his Scubapro craze.

So, I guess its Tioman here I come, before Redang, maybe Manado at end of the year or Sipadan, ...any takers? :)

savant,

I wisely invested in a 0.5mm fullsuit before my trip to Perhentian :) I was cozily covered, not too cold and not too warm.

My buddies and I would be interested in Redang, when will you be going? I was offered a 3D/2N package at Redang Kalong resort for RM570 per person, twin sharing. 4 dives and all meals included. Have you got a better offer? I was thinking maybe September?

Other trips planned this year:
Nov 1-7 Bali Dive Safari (Menjangan Island, Tulamben - Liberty Wreck, and Nusa Penida)
Dec 23-28 Similans and Richelieu Rock.

Interested?

I dove with NO exposure suit at all during the day and wore a shortie for my night dive, and I was perfectly fine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom