Pet safety peeves--no debating

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

neil:
Divers who never take off their weight belt. Makes me want to push them overboard to see how they react.

I don't take mine off but don't think I'd have a problem with you pushing me in (I only carry 3 lbs).

1. Instructors/DMs that think they reign supreme because they are Instructors/DMs. :D

2. Poor bouyancy skills.

3. People that assume somebody has to have thousands of dives before they are a good diver.

bradshsi:
My pet peeve is if I find myself exhibiting any of the safety no-no's posted previously.

Maybe one day I'll be half the diver I'd like to be...

And only dive half as much as you deserve.

What ^they said and divers that don't know what they don't know.

catherine96821:
well, i listen. I got a clue on a couple of yours....I dive ok but am a pain on the boat.

No, I mean in person. It's very easy to offer help on scubaboard in response to someone asking for it. I've picked up loads of tips from people here. I've dived with people who have damaged reefs because of poor buoyancy and really wanted to say something to them, but I just can't. If I have the opportunity, I will mention it to the DM. I've tried to signal to divers who had a dangling octo to secure it, but was met with a stare. Either they don't understand or chose to ignore it.

I believe a person must want help before being receptive to it. If they're not receptive, it takes a strong authority figure (see my Right On or Rude? post) to make any progress.

Yes, a lot of newbies want help, but a lot them could care less.

The pet peeves I'm guilty of include:

Diving beyond my training and experience.
Diving with makeup (???)
Getting irritated with newbies for making newbie mistakes if it costs me dive time or makes my experience less than it could be.
Ignoring DMs if I don't like them or think them officious.
Not paying attention to the Captain's briefing.

I'm sure there are others!

wow, we should be friends. Not many people understand the ...tinted sunblock!

Tinted sunblock, waterproof mascara and tinted lip gloss in a tube are indispensable pieces of my kit. :) Friends?

1. People who won´t speak up.

If you have concerns or issues with the dive/briefing or anything else make sure you adress them before you hit the water! Not doing so compromises the safety not only of yourself but everyone on or in the water around you! (deserves a separate rant of its own really)

2. Assumtions.

Just don´t make them! Do buddychecks, review signals, plan the dive and dive the plan etc. Assuming that any of the above will "work out" is a good way to get yourself killed diving (or doing anything else)

redhatmama:
Tinted sunblock, waterproof mascara and tinted lip gloss in a tube are indispensable pieces of my kit. :) Friends?

yup!

I have a few:

1.- "Super Divers" who lack the modesty to remember they were once beginners and freely critizice novices for making novice mistakes that are part of the learning curve. Thus you have the all-mighty, infallibe ragging on newbies for being "hooevers" having "poor buoyancy", being too slow to set-up their gear, you name it....

2.- The very same super divers who critizice other divers because their choice of gear is different than theirs, calling them all sort of things from "fanatic", "rookie", "reckless".. the list is endless

3.- Divers devoid of free thinking who cling to the mantras taught by their respective agencies as if they were the only ways to dive. They can be spotted because they will back-up their points of view with statements such as "your gear positioning is wrong because I was taught by (insert agency name here) that it should go this way instead". Learning is a two way process in which points of view are presented and discussed while allowing plenty of room for rational decision making. A one way style of teaching (my way is the way) is not education, is indoctrination or brainwashing. Good thread!

Good points coach.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom