"peta"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think that the fishing industry is too good at catching fish, and that we'd be better off to turn technology back a few notches in that department. I'm more in favor of fishing and hunting as individuals then in having meat and fish industries handle it for entire nations.

But, we could use the same technology, that allows us to be so efficient at catching fish, to our advantage to manage the resource efficiently and keep populations from going dangerously low.
They're better at catching them because they're better at finding them. This means we can monitor populations better and not go out and blindly take everything we can catch on a lucky day. Of course monitoring and control of catch is the key there, but knowing what we have out there would be a real plus.

But, we could use the same technology, that allows us to be so efficient at catching fish, to our advantage to manage the resource efficiently and keep populations from going dangerously low.
They're better at catching them because they're better at finding them. This means we can monitor populations better and not go out and blindly take everything we can catch on a lucky day. Of course monitoring and control of catch is the key there, but knowing what we have out there would be a real plus.

I agree with anything that manages the fisheries in a manner that causes them to be sustainable if their sustainablity is, in fact, the end result. I also agree that control is the key, assuming the models are correct. It seems to me though, and I will qualify my remarks by saying that I am not a scientist by any stretch of the imagination, that the consensus is that most fisheries are on the decline. This isn't based on any one study that I've read, but rather a condition that seems to have the sentiment echoing throughout the world "It's not like it was thirty years ago" that I've heard applied to many fisheries. I don't know if this is a lingering effect of unregulated fishing decades ago, when populations were so decimated that they still haven't been able to recover, or if the present regulations are insufficient or disregarded. I suspect that it may be a combination of both. I could be wrong... like I said I'm not looking at research on this, it's just my perception.

Well, perhaps it will get to the point where it's just not cost effective to fish commercially anymore. As an example, 80% of the shrimp you now buy in stores is farm raised, due mainly to the fact that it's a cheaper shrimp than trawling. Although some farms had been destructive to mangroves back in the 80s, technology as become much more green in the last 10-15 years.
My post was more in response to the "turn back technology" point you made. It can work for, as well as against the fish, which as you state, are definitley in decline.

iwantdindinsfl0.gif

Last night, I killed a bug in my bathtub by squeezing a bit of shampoo on top of it. Does that mean that PETI are going to be after me?? :eyebrow:

I'm not a PETA person, but I am quite against animal suffering. I think that trying to control what other people do is going too far and the whole Sea Shepherd thing really turns me off. I can't imagine that it's helping the cause very much. I have friends that are Peta people, and that's cool, you know free country and all that. Even though they may march here and there, they don't really freak out on anyone too much so it's cool.

Chiprev2.jpg

I have friends in Peta.

Fishing_Hurts.jpg

They march here and there, but they don't ram into other boats or fling rancid butter or red dye at anyone.

I don't think that fishing or hunting is wrong, in fact I kinda think the opposite... I think that the animals we eat should be allowed to live like fish or ducks or pigs or cows or whatever instead of the lives they are forced to live when we mass produce meat. I think that the fishing industry is too good at catching fish, and that we'd be better off to turn technology back a few notches in that department. I'm more in favor of fishing and hunting as individuals then in having meat and fish industries handle it for entire nations.

Gheez, those peta freaks always look like a bunch of whackos!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom