Petrel owners: what mode do you use for a recreational NDL sport dive?

Petrel owners: what mode do you use for a recreational NDL sport dive?

• Leave it in Technical mode

Votes: 15 55.6%
  • Switch to Recreational Nitrox mode

Votes: 12 44.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just leave it in tech, I get more useful information from it and it's not worth the hassle of switching back and forth. For those doing simple NDL dives or even square ocean diving profiles the recreational mode is perfectly fine, I just don't like it....

I use VPM as well as Buhtmann. Sadly, Rec mode only will run Buhlmann so I run Tec mode.

My wife uses the medium conservative setting. I believe that is GF 40/80.

I'll keep mine in tech mode, but match the rec mode GF of my wife when we dive together.

I switch it from CC/OC to OC Tec for goof-off dives, and that's enough of a change for me. I don't think I've ever actually used Rec mode beyond playing with it for a minute or two after the firmware update...by definition, I'm hardly looking at the computer on a rec dive, so I don't really need simpler U/I or fewer options.

Indeed, if for some reason things do go sideways on a dive like that, where I'm likely less fully geared-up, I probably want the added flexibility of being able to punch up a more aggressive ascent schedule or add new gas mixes to the dive plan while underwater.

I've been using OC Rec. I like the safety stop timer. You lose the option for 2 more gases by using it, but if you're rec diving odds are you're don't need 5 gases anyway.

I also haven't learned enough about gradient factors to start messing with those options yet. No real need since I'm only doing 45-60 minute walk-in dives between 30-120'.

When I need the other options, though, I know I won't have to buy a new computer to do it.

I leave mine set on tech mode while on recreational dives so that the screen is exactly the same when I go on a deco dive. I like to keep things as uniformed as possible so that when I am doing the deeper stuff everything is familiar.

Totally agree with this. I dive a long hose and necklace even on single tank NDL dives and try to have a fairly scalable system. That logic would seem to translate well with the Petrel also. The Safety Stop timer in rec. mode is pretty cool though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom