Petrel pricing, helo2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi
Of course you are absolutely free to do as you wish and to spend your money the way you like but I can't stop thinking you are trying to make yourself saver by thinking the more tools you have the better is.
But it is really the case?
Do you really need such a complex and expensive computer to dive when all you have to do is to plan the dive and dive the plan :)

If you think the Petrel is complex, you either don't know much about it or you're comparing it to a BT and your criticism is equally applicable to all dive computers. It's certainly more expensive than many recreational computers, but not by much for many and is less expensive than some. For a rec diver, even though they may never use the Petrel's more advanced features (which won't complicate the computer for them, either) they will probably still find it worth the money due to its easy U/I, excellent battery options and screen color/clarity/brightness, and Shearwater's amazing service and support. Would you really whine this much about someone buying a $600 Suunto garbage dive computer watch? What about a trashy old piece of junk like a SP Luna/Sol?

And there's no denying that a second computer is at least more convenient than one--it allows you to safely continue a recreational dive should one fail. Obviously, when direct ascent to the surface isn't an option, "the more tools you have the better [it] is" is the very definition of safety. If you think going on a deco dive with a single source of information--be it a Petrel, or cut tables and a BT, or whatever--is safe because it's simple, you're an idiot. Personally, I like two separate sets of info if it's a complex enough dive I wouldn't be comfortable just heading to 20' and sucking my deco gas empty in the event of a BT or computer failure, and three sets (one being analog watch+depth gauge and cut tables) for things where deco is measured in hours and the question isn't "properly decompressed or badly bent" but "properly decompressed or probably dead before I make the surface."

Oh yes I am an idiot and you are such a smart guy :)

If you think the Petrel is complex, you either don't know much about it or you're comparing it to a BT and your criticism is equally applicable to all dive computers. It's certainly more expensive than many recreational computers, but not by much for many and is less expensive than some. For a rec diver, even though they may never use the Petrel's more advanced features (which won't complicate the computer for them, either) they will probably still find it worth the money due to its easy U/I, excellent battery options and screen color/clarity/brightness, and Shearwater's amazing service and support. Would you really whine this much about someone buying a $600 Suunto garbage dive computer watch? What about a trashy old piece of junk like a SP Luna/Sol?

And there's no denying that a second computer is at least more convenient than one--it allows you to safely continue a recreational dive should one fail. Obviously, when direct ascent to the surface isn't an option, "the more tools you have the better [it] is" is the very definition of safety. If you think going on a deco dive with a single source of information--be it a Petrel, or cut tables and a BT, or whatever--is safe because it's simple, you're an idiot. Personally, I like two separate sets of info if it's a complex enough dive I wouldn't be comfortable just heading to 20' and sucking my deco gas empty in the event of a BT or computer failure, and three sets (one being analog watch+depth gauge and cut tables) for things where deco is measured in hours and the question isn't "properly decompressed or badly bent" but "properly decompressed or probably dead before I make the surface."

I really don't see why a beginner diver would need to spend US$750.00 on a computer designed for tec dive!
DG03/Sunnto Zoop/Cressi Leonardo/Mares Puck + Uwatec bottom timer is more than adequate for rec dive.
If the OP eventually decide to venture into tec dive or DIR then the DG03 in gauge mode + BT would be more than adequately serve him well without any need for TWO dedicated tec computers. Different story if he decides to take up CCR.

I have a Petrel, but if I was new to diving I would recommend Suunto Vyper/D4 or similar. Ebay is a good place to look. The Petrel won't stop you hurting yourself.

I really don't see why a beginner diver would need to spend US$750.00 on a computer designed for tec dive!
DG03/Sunnto Zoop/Cressi Leonardo/Mares Puck + Uwatec bottom timer is more than adequate for rec dive.
If the OP eventually decide to venture into tec dive or DIR then the DG03 in gauge mode + BT would be more than adequately serve him well without any need for TWO dedicated tec computers. Different story if he decides to take up CCR.

Let me, who does not have a Petrel or any other computer considered suitable for tec diving, have a crack at this. A tec diving computer is really not that complex, and with, say, the Petrel's new recreational mode it can operate just like a typical rec computer in helping to keep a less knowledgeable diver from hurting himself. The hardware part is pretty straightforward, but solidly built and easy to use. How is spending more for a finely built machine than one would spend for a perfectly serviceable but ordinary one much different when it comes to dive computers than it is for, say, wristwatches, cars, etc.? Some people like nice machines and have money to burn for them. The finest watches seem to be the least complex. I'm not arguing that it makes logical sense for us rec divers to buy a more expensive computer when a less expensive computer would work perfectly well for us. But maybe some can appreciate the kind of engineering, user interface design, reliability, and customer service that apparently comes with some of the more tec-oriented computers, like the Petrel. My Suunto works fine, but the display is small and difficult to read, people have reported reliability issues and poor customer service, and I think the design (e.g., stuff printed on the face) looks more like consumer electronics than it does "instrumentation." Some people are happy to pay more than they really need to for these things that, for whatever their reason, appeal to them. The more I realize I don't need "features," the more I'm attracted to the Petrel.

Let me, who does not have a Petrel or any other computer considered suitable for tec diving, have a crack at this. A tec diving computer is really not that complex, and with, say, the Petrel's new recreational mode it can operate just like a typical rec computer in helping to keep a less knowledgeable diver from hurting himself. The hardware part is pretty straightforward, but solidly built and easy to use. How is spending more for a finely built machine than one would spend for a perfectly serviceable but ordinary one much different when it comes to dive computers than it is for, say, wristwatches, cars, etc.? Some people like nice machines and have money to burn for them. The finest watches seem to be the least complex. I'm not arguing that it makes logical sense for us rec divers to buy a more expensive computer when a less expensive computer would work perfectly well for us. But maybe some can appreciate the kind of engineering, user interface design, reliability, and customer service that apparently comes with some of the more tec-oriented computers, like the Petrel. My Suunto works fine, but the display is small and difficult to read, people have reported reliability issues and poor customer service, and I think the design (e.g., stuff printed on the face) looks more like consumer electronics than it does "instrumentation." Some people are happy to pay more than they really need to for these things that, for whatever their reason, appeal to them. The more I realize I don't need "features," the more I'm attracted to the Petrel.

I can only speak of my own experience. I have a stack of diving stuff that i have bought over the years that I thought i WOULD need; driven by ambition, avarice etc that now sits unloved in a darkened room, hidden from my wife. I only buy stuff now that i need NOW. A dive computer is just a computer, it will be better and cheaper this time next year. If you can't read the figures on a Suunto it may be worth getting lenses fitted to your mask(if you need reading glasses, this will likely be the case). Keep it simple...

Hi
Let me play the devil advocate by telling you to buy the cheapest instrument you can get (a BT and a watch are also enough) and use the money you saved to dive, dive, dive and dive :)
That way you are going to learn much more about diving than following a nice screen on your wrist.
Of course this is just my 2 cents.
Jale
Trouble is you may soon find it difficult to find dive buddies when you keep cutting their multi-level profile dives short.

First off, HOLY CRAP!! I am stunned to see how many people have replied to this post already! Thanks! So to clear up a couple of things. As part of my kit I bought a Genesis 3 Gauge In-Line Console so the analog depth gauge is taken care of, and will remain on my rig as a back up regardless of where I go digitally. My every day digital watch is a rock solid Casio protrek rated to 100 meters. I also fully understand that the Petrel is overkill. What originally turned me on to it was the user replaceable AA battery, customer support, ease of use, and easily visible screen. PLUS, have you seen Shearwater's youtube videos? Video #1 - Introduction - Petrel Recreational Nitrox Mode - YouTube I haven't seen another company go to as much trouble to show features on a device. I totally agree with Lorenzoid's statement above. Being in the R&D field I am in, I can really appreciate a well made, thought out piece of hardware.

So I guess I will continue to watch the classifieds for a petrel in the $600 range for a while longer. If one doesn't pop up I may spring for something else. Or maybe I can cash those reward points and give the wife a nudge and wink for a gift card to go toward a nice Christmas gift. She did buy some of my kit for my birthday (who has 2 thumbs and is a lucky guy??). Until then I will just record my time and depth manually. Maybe I can finally use that Padi underwater board to plan and track everything to just increase my understanding of diving in general. Just make a fun game of it. Luckily there is a quarry 10 mins from my house here in North Georgia with really reasonable tank rental prices so in the meantime I guess I will drive the sunken boat and get more comfortable with dive planning and paper logging.

Thanks again for all the input! Also I noticed no one mentioned the Helo2. Any reason? Seems to be a good deal at $300.

Done a few hundred baby deco dives(deep air + trimix) over 16 yrs and yet to waste any money on a dedicated tec computer. No problem in reading the small letters on Uwatec BT with my 60+ yrs old eyes.
BTW, still using the two Uwatec Aladins which I purchased back in 1996/97. Reliability is never an issue as for the battery changing then it is different story. I must learn how to do it!!!!
I like your last sentence bar the last word: The more I realize I don't need "features", the more I'm attracted to the Uwatec BT. No battery changing, no service required etc etc for over 10yrs and cost less than US$110.00. Can't be bad.

I can tell you right now that you will not find a Petrel in the $600-$650 range, it's just not going to happen. You MIGHT find a predator in that price range, but you lose regular AA battery use and the Rec Nitrox mode. That post in RBW is about as cheap as you'll find one...
Black BT - Dive Right in Scuba
That with nitrox unlocked puts you in the low $600's
NiTek Q - Dive Right in Scuba
Nitek Q is rechargeable and actually is a quite nice little computer now that they have the dive logging features fixed. I'm still partial to my petrel though, but it isn't cheap and I do actually use all of the features on it....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom